Rack and pinion question?

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
I have a rack and pinion (steering rack) from an 89 N/A supra mine is an 88 turbo will the rack fit mine? I gonna change it out today since its soooo nice outside and will be even better the next 4 days. Do I need to change the hoses out I got all the hoses from the N/A parts car and the resivouir too. thanks

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
my interchange books say no. 86-88 fit and 89-92 fit. now it does give me 3 options for the 89+ racks, as turbo, non turbo with PPS, and non turbo, w/o PPS. but none for the 88 under.

it might fit, but you wiould have to compare the 2 side by side. difference could be the steering gear ratio, which is enough for my interchange books to say its not the same.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
Ok I looked online a bit and it doesnot have the electronic assit on it don't know if that makes a differance. What would be the out come if the gear ratio was off turn too wide or not enough? Maybe harder to turn?

Also I measured the mounting pionts for the fram they are the same. The hoses are bent a little differant though.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
the gear ratio will affect the wheel in the car, like if for say the old rack was 2:1 gear ration (2 turns of the wheel from lock to lock) a box with say 2.2:1 will mean you spin the wheel a little more.

lines arnt a big issue, as they can be rebent (though very carefully) to fit. perhaps the old lines will fit the rack? but why you replacing the rack? is it leaking?

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
It leaks all over the place. Out the boots the line fittings, It even squirts the hot side of the turbo when its at full lock in both directions lol. Smoked me and my buddy out of the car. I thought it was on fire so it kinda scared me, partly why I don't drive it too much, don't want a firey death to me or the car lol.
What is pps and how can I tell? Neither have any electronic connectins on them.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
Didn't think of that. But I may be able to get it from the guy I bought it from.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Also the guy I bought the car from is a toyota master mechanic and just retired a couple years ago. I just called him he said that it shouldn't make a differance about the pulley side but if it does he said he would give me the whole pump and bracket as well.