racing fuel?

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
so i am getting my car ready for the summer and its going back to get tuned at "the shop" in CT. so i have been playing with the idea of a) using racing fuel b) using meth injection c) both. which way is the best route? is it safer using racing fuel or meth or both

my mods are:
7mgte
hks mhg
arp's
gt35r
custom header
24*12*4 intercooler
custom intercooler piping
aem ems
hks dli
rc 720cc
walbro pump
custom 4in downpipe
4in downpipe back exhaust
act clutch
eibach/tokico ILL
thats of the top of my head for now

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
If you're going to be doing a lot of street driving then go with pump gas and a meth kit.. Race gas gets expensive.

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
WhtMa71;1297047 said:
If you're going to be doing a lot of street driving then go with pump gas and a meth kit.. Race gas gets expensive.

money is not a problem its only a weekend car but i just didn't know if it was ok to run race gas all the time in a stock motor. and are there advantages of running race gas and meth or pick one of the two

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Propane is only for diesels...You could convert your whole setup to LPG but I doubt you want to do that.

If you're just going to drive this on the weekends and are looking to run a LOT of boost all the time, then run race gas.

Meth is good if you want to drive your car a lot and turn up the boost every now and then. That way you don't waste a bunch of money burning race gas every time you drive your car. You still run pump gas when the meth is switched on at a pre-set boost level.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supra88gr;1297601 said:
what about propane injection? anyone running it? any info?

Still damn expensive here for the hardware but people are getting great results using it, it's at least 104 octane and you can make great power if tuned correctly.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
If your not going to drive it much under high boost just run racegas. Look up VP's C16, its made to support the needs of a turbo engine. If any slight mistakes in tuning happen the extra octane could save you from burn down.

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
sneakypete;1297735 said:
only problem running race gas all the time is if you are still using a cat. race fuel is leaded and will clog it

i don't have a cat on my car i have a strait pipe on it:evil2: in CT if your car is over 20yrs old you can put antique plates on it and not have to go throw inspection and you also save on taxes as well. but will running race gas all the time in a stock motor hurt it

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
supra88gr;1298120 said:
i don't have a cat on my car i have a strait pipe on it:evil2: in CT if your car is over 20yrs old you can put antique plates on it and not have to go throw inspection and you also save on taxes as well. but will running race gas all the time in a stock motor hurt it

It will not hurt the motor, but it may not get along well with your o2 sensor.

HitmansEVO

Dropper
Nov 19, 2008
Missouri
supra88gr;1298120 said:

Not if you're tuned properly. Not all race gas is leaded, but if you do get one that is leaded, it's true that your 02 sensor will hate you after they build up a lead forcefield on the sensor. Leaded ones typically work better, unleaded ones are harder to find.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Your engine will last hella longer on race fuel except for your O2 sensor. knock will be the end of any motor tho.
This is the info for the turbo fuel from the VP website.. This stuff is freaking great, Ive seen 14:1 compression ratios with 19psi of boost and the engines have lasted over 2000miles at WOT. NO knock is present with that.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
ChrisC;1298293 said:
Your engine will last hella longer on race fuel except for your O2 sensor. knock will be the end of any motor tho.
This is the info for the turbo fuel from the VP website.. This stuff is freaking great, Ive seen 14:1 compression ratios with 19psi of boost and the engines have lasted over 2000miles at WOT. NO knock is present with that.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

is it good to run race gas and meth together?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Waste of time money and effort if you're not going to tune to take advantage of the increased detonation resistance of races fuel/methanol as the car will make less HP on these fuels at low output settings.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
mount a spacer on the dp or double up the 02 bung. this will keep the 02 sensor out of the direct exhaust stream and last much longer. it reads the same whether it is in direct flow or just open to the exhaust.

i've never been a huge supporter of meth/alch injection. i know some people are running it with great success. there is a risk of equipment failure, sure. but also trouble with not being equal in each cyl. so you may have 1 cyl getting a ton of meth, and 1 cyl getting almost none.

and as IJ said, if you run octane higher than required, you will actually make less power.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
supra88gr;1298357 said:
is it good to run race gas and meth together?

running race gas and meth together would be pointless. With just running C16 you will have all the octane you need. Even if you lean out during tuning it will forgive as you get the optimum tune. You can loose power using such a high octane fuel but it will also allow you to run more timing in your map. which = more power. But in all how far do you want to push it before you run into knock?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
does anyone run aircraft fuel? like from the local airport?

and just for fun what do you guys think about the octain booster or is that crap.