Rabid chimp

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
Has anyone got work done by them? I'm looking to take mine in there to get some work done.
I'm just wanting to know if its good quality work there and price is good?

Rich64N

Oct 28, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Villy253;1948937 said:
Is this the one? I think
Hopefully Rich will look at this thread and gives some insight (hint hint for him)

Up front, Aaron of Rabidchimp is a personal friend so take that as my bias (one person shop, so if he is busy he doesn't have a secretary answering the phone - and doesn't usually work weekends/holidays). His shop is in a nice business complex in University Place (next to Tacoma for all the folks that confuse it with College Place near Walla Walla 300 miles away - yes that is an occasional error). He is well known in the MK II world, and is quite familiar with the 7MGTE as well. He's been a sponsor of celicasupra.com since its founding ~ 10 years ago and is one of the few aftermarket MK II suppliers. (BTW, I learned about the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell from him).

I have no problems recommending Rabidchimp for MK IIs and MK IIIs (5MGE, 6MGE, 7MGE to include turbos). Or fabrication work for anything (intercoolers, mufflers, mounts for engine swaps). Most unusual recent fab was the supercharger piping for CARFREEK's 5MG(S?)E. He doesn't "tune," and doesn't do complex electrical troubleshooting (like if your aftermarket engine controller isn't doing its stuff, too many variables). but he has worked on many 5 and 7 M's and I'd recommend him for any engine, exhaust and suspension work.

As for price, you are getting someone experienced with Toyota MGE series engines. Recently a woman on cs.com took her car to a general mechanic and left $3500 poorer, likely because the shop had no idea where to start and Easter egged (just stated replacing random parts to find out what was wrong) the repair job. If machining is required he'll send it to a very good shop and you'll end up spending ~ the same as if you had taken it in yourself. You'll get a fair price from Rabidchimp.

If you have a MK IV, I recommend Ischii in Bellevue (tuning)