R154 wont go into gear!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You see the reverse idler gear? It's the only straight cut gear by it's self not on the in/output shaft or the counter shaft. Have to move it back away from the in/output shaft sonit not touching any gear.

I'm only guessing cause you can't tell from that pic but that exactly what happened to mine.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
So I have to pull this back??

p1637114_1.jpg

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
Or is it one of these? I'm sorry for all the questions, I can tear apart a whole motor, but I've never torn a transmission apart. Thanks for your help guys!
p1637160_1.jpg

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I think the reverse gearing is on the other side of the casing that you haven't taken off yet.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=MT&P=50

It is straight cut so you can't mistake it with the other ones. Also it doesn't have any syncros attached to it.

On the front side of the tans (the part that faces the engine) there are a couple c clamps that you need to remove and that will allow the front casing to come off. And before you do that step you must take the front bearing retainer piece off too.

Just_Moody

Feb 9, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
was this ever resolved? I am having a similar issue with mine. Yes it was stored upright on the bell housing so I am assuming the same thing happened. I have the tail shaft housing off of it already, just wondering if it was possible to correct the issue without disassembling further. I have experience rebuilding transmissions though i have never done an r154 and would love to avoid any more teardown if I can, lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya. Have to seperate the main case. Move the reverse idler back from the gears and then seal it all back.

Don't loose the detent ball for the extension housing either. Best to remove it first with a magnet. Spring will come out first.

Just_Moody

Feb 9, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
Update: I got lucky. I was able to correct my issue without taking any more than the tailshaft housing off. The hole on the bottom left of the extension housing where the reverse gear is was large enough to get my finger in there and simply pull the reverse gear back to free it up.