R154 wont go into gear!!

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
i purchased a second supra for parts, the tranny was already off the car and sitting in the passenger seat, i finally got the time to pull the tranny out and take a look, when i tried shifting it, it wont go into any gear!!

The front and rear shafts spin freely, what could be causing this?
Please Help!!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Which way? Same way your spinng it or reverse?
Can you hold one while spinng the other?

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
ill check it as soon as i get home, i think its spinning in the opposite direction but i dont want to say thats for sure, thank you for your help.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If its spinning in reverse the reverse idler gear is stuck and you would have to pull the case apart and pop it out. Had a spare trans that had that happen.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
Just got home, when I spun the input shaft, the output shaft is spinning in the same direction, I also tried jamming it in while spinning the input shaft, no luck =\

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
Yea mine was standing upright on the bellhousing also!! I was informed that it was in proper working condition, i may have the same issue you did, What exactly did you do once you removed the rear housing?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Same I had mine stored like that for a day and the reverse idler gear jammed. Pull the cash. Watch for the ball bearing and then look for the gear that's stuck

There is a lil star plug on the side of the extension housing remove that and use a magnet to get the spring and ball so it doesn't get lost.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
I'm sorry I'm rather inexperience with transmissions, what is the cash? Lol I assume you don't mean currency. Does anyone have a diagram showing where the star plug, spring and ball are?

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Ok, I saw it on the tsrm, is this accessible wothout removing the housing? Or do I first remove the housing then the ball and spring.. Thanks for your help guys!

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
So i took it apart and this is what i see... It is stuck in reverse because shafts are moving opposite to eachother,What do I have to do here to get it unstuck?! Please help!

p1636916_1.jpg