R154 Tranny Install Help (I'm desperate!!!)

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
How in the hell do you get the R154 in place? Besides jacking the front of the engine up what other tricks is there to installing the tranny? Call or text me if you know how. I am at my wits end (Jayhall too).

Adam

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
It's just generally a bitch. Sometimes takes some serious muscling around to get it in there. Do some twisting (rotationally) from left to right.

Having a 3' long extension and an electric impact gun helps a lot to get to the bolts.

suprahero;1231213 said:
Hopefully my little phone call helped. Good luck.

honestabe;1231221 said:
Thank you Jay, I really appreciate it. We've been going crazy and never would have thought of that.

Adam

Thought of what guys? Share the knowledge so the next poor sap who is searching actually gets the answer. ;)

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Mike, I'll post up my tips and tricks. Jay told me to put the pressure plate and other clutch part (it's been a long day, I'm cold and tired. It's the large piece that's usually painted, bright blue in my case, with the fingers and the center hub that goes in the middle) inside the transmission first and then put the transmission up into place. Very little fighting whatsoever.

Jay, I owe you cookies or something. You saved the day.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
So are you saying to put the bearing in the fork before putting the transmission in? I'm just trying to understand exactly what you are saying.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
less effort to push with your leg

that all i can think of i read inot a bunch yeasr back and this si what i got

3rd gen rx7 use the same setup as well
and some other cars not many thou

CyFi6;1231306 said:
Isnt that what the TSRM says to do?

BTW what is the advantage of a pull type clutch? Why did Toyota use it for this application?

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
honestly doing it on the ground is a real PITA. I pulled the trans 3 times on the ground and hated it everytime. Now that I have a lift, it can be done in 30mins..

Having 2 people really help, also raising the vehicle as high as you can will help and putting the PP and disc on the input shaft..

also If your doing it on the ground a small POS floor jack from pepboys or whatever really helps...

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I bolted the PP and disc to the motor before putting the transmission into place. This makes it impossible to put the tranny in due to clearance issues. You have to put the PP and disc on the transmission input shaft and then bolt the transmission into place. Once you have done this, you can then rotate the crank and bolt down the PP. You use the inspection covers to bolt the PP on. The only other way is to pull the motor and tranny out of the car and bolt them together there. BTW, with the motor installed, a clutch alignment tool is useless (but don't throw it out, you will need it some day).

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
ive done the tranny in these cars on a lift many times now and while its not the easiest thing in the world, with a lift and proper tools its probably a job for a C rated mechanic.

i took it out on the ground once in my drive way and THAT was a pain in the ass.

getting everything undone and unbolted was a piece of cake, but actually getting the car up high enough and then getting the tranny out from under the car is a very uncomfortable process.

if i had no access to a lift, i would rather pull the engine out than try to take out and reinstall the tranny on the ground with the motor in place.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
honestabe;1231647 said:
You have to put the PP and disc on the transmission input shaft and then bolt the transmission into place. Once you have done this, you can then rotate the crank and bolt down the PP. You use the inspection covers to bolt the PP on.

This is what I told him on the phone. I'm glad it helped Adam.

supr88

turbo addict
May 15, 2007
calgary or vancouver
i found an r154 at the picknpull and came back the next day with my tools. someone tried to pull the tranny out and had all the bolts undone but still couldnt get it to come off, lucky for me. they didnt unbolt the pressure plate so it was still stuck on there.

pull type clutchs generaly hold more for their size. this is why heavy duty trucks use pull type clutches.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
man that sounds like a real pita, i didnt know you had to put the clutch and pp on the input shaft first.

when i pulled mine off my motor i didnt know you had to pull out the clutch fork, i was pulling like hell. then i finaly looked in the tsrm and realized i had to pull out the clutch fork.

this is going to be some good info to know. to bad the w58 is so weak, b/c its a lot easier

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
honestabe;1232772 said:
Trust those who have done it before, it is a royal PITA to do on the ground like I did.

The ground is where I do all of my mechanicing. I've pulled out my 7mgte and installed a 1jz. I pulled out my 1jz and installed a 1.5jz. I pulled out my 1.5jz and rebuilt it and reinstalled it again. I've swapped out my rearend five times ( I can now do that in 30 minutes including jacking up the car) I've went from automatic to five speed, and I've removed my R154 four other times due to clutch issues.............all of this was done outside on a gravel driveway. I had to use my truck to pull the engine crane around..........:aigo:

That's dedication.............:biglaugh: