R154 Rebuild Help....

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I am rebuilding my R154 because a "rebuilder" said he could do my gearbox and started then after he say it, never came back to our shop to finish it. So, now I have a gearbox half apart and doing it myself. I watched when he took it apart so I know some stuff.

I pressed in new bearings and installed new thrust washers as well. Everything I took out was labeled and marked how they came out and was put back in the sameway it came of each shaft.

Here is my problem and keep in mind I am ignoring all the little other balls in the transmission that go on the main shaft since I know about those, I cannot figure out how to install the locking balls. Here is what I know

-I have seven silver balls (circled in green). They are known as the "Shifter Detent?" I know four came out with a springs from the Torx screw on the side of the intermediate plate.

-I have two pins (circled red) that go into the First and Third Shift Fork SHAFT. Correct?

-I have ONE oval looking ball (circled blue), not a circle, but an oval, little less than half an inch in length. So Now I Need To Get One Of These, Or Is That A Error In The Picture? I Have Another R154 I will be rebuilding, so I can take it from that. But Would A W58 Have The Same Part, I Have A Parts One.

How do these things go into the intermediate plate?

I think it goes like this, (Mounted On Vice With The Main Shaft On Top So I Can Drop The Balls Down)

Fourth Shaft Goes In, Connects To Fork
Locking Ball Drops Down Onto Notch
Third Shaft With Pin In Shaft Goes In
Locking Oval Drops Down On Notch
First Shaft Goes In With Pin In Shaft
Locking Oval Drops Down On Notch
Second Shaft Drops Down
Locking Ball Drops Down On Notch
Spring Goes In With Torx Screws

When the fourth and third shift shaft go into the reverse bracket, there is supposed to be a locking ball (circled in blue) there on the notches of the third and fourth shaft?

I know that all the holes on the side of the intermediate plate need to have the ball and spring and then the torx inserted and torque.

This is a picture I found on the forums to help explain things as I am now home.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
I did this in the summer, i followed the tsrm step by step it shows you exactly were to put the locking balls. you drop them in the intermediate plate between installing the shafts.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The balls will go in last. They have springs to go with them. That would be what the 4 outside torx plugs are for.

The other 3 odd shaped ones iirc are for the shift forks so it stays inplace when you shift.

Technical term: detents. Tho balls are usually more descriptive and spike the mind better.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I figured it out guys after looking at the EPC. I already rebuilt a second one and I just throw all the detents in a zip lock bag. I know how everything goes. Thanks. I did not take it apart, so I was figuring out what someone else did.

I took out those selectors over ten different times but it helped me to learn it and now I know how everything goes.