r154 pops out of first, time to rebuild

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
no, its from marlin crawler direct. its actually classified as the r151 kit (turbo) sorry i forgot about that...it was confusing for me at first too. wiki r154 and it should bring you to the "toyota r series transmission" youll see anything from land cruiser going into the jeep world sharing most of its design/parts with the jeep ax-15...which leads me to my next point...i dont think i couldve rebuilt my trans in the amount of time i did if it wasnt for the youtube ax-15 rebuild vids. the vice is a great tool, but i managed to do mine without one.

some country guy starts out with the trans on the bench with the t-case still attached and over the course of 7 or so videos he goes through i think 99% of each and every step it takes to rebuild it. itll take you awhile to watch it, some parts will last 15 min or so but i watched it before and during my rebuild and i promise, the guts are basically the same. he doesnt do any upgrades, just a nice and clean rebuild how to.

i also found this EXTREMELY helpful in the sense that i made a similar jig to what they made and without it life aint easy doing that job, even with a press. also note its r151 like marlin is selling it for.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/
JigInPress.jpg

see, if you didnt make a stand for the bearing splitter to sit onto, with this style press (like the one i have at work) the shaft with the gears installed is too wide to fit through the base of the press. it "could" be done with wood blocks id assume just fine but id rather have the safety of being able to tack weld or atleast vice grip the jig to the splitter wheras the wood could just roll off the splitter at a high load and who knows whatd happen to the gears on the shaft let alone yourself if your near it when it goes flying...im sure youd get a shot in the boys.

hope this helps any future searchers too.

also a reminder, if you drive your car after it starts popping out of 1st gear like mine did youll prob have to buy the first gear clutch/syncro hub and first gear itself...inspect for gawling where the 2 meet, mine was hella bad, not flat at all and had a really bad roughness on both parts.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
thats cool, but for the stage 3 kit (maybe lack just a "little" bit of cleanliness) i did the same upgrades for about 800 for everything (shipping included)

so, that makes jacks rebuild (with shipping) $1,000 for labor, cleanliness and some paint? the syncro "blueprinting" doesnt quite apply to the r154 i think...maybe im wrong...but all mine were perfect first try, i dont think you can install them wrong...but, i could def be wrong...please correct if so.

looks like they just used the same parts list i mentioned before and charge mostly for warranty and a really clean trans.