R154 not sitting properly in a 91 auto supra

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
ok long story short i swapped my 1j 5spd setup from my 87 into an original 91 turbo auto shell. so i swapped the motor n tranny in the other day and the motor sat perfectly where it was suppose to with no issues. this means that the tranny is suppose to line up perfectly as long as the motor is sitting in the right place. anyways i bolted up the tranny with the driveshaft no problem, and when i looked inside the car i can see the tranny all the way to the right of the shifter hole and actually rubbing.

isn't the shifter part suppose to be lined up perfectly in the center of the shifter hole in the car? cuz its not :(..and when i went under to take a second look, you can see the right side of the tranny touching the tranny tunnel a lil. im thinking did i not line it up properly? but that's the only way the the tranny mount will line up to bolt and theres no other way it can be. did anyone ever run into the problem while doing a 5spd swap in a auto car? looks like i'll have to cut shifter hole a bit so it doesn't touch. ill have a pic up tomorrow so you guys can see what i'm talking about.

Mk3*Supra

Jun 14, 2010
Ohio
both of our swaps (auto to 1j & r154.. and 87 and a 92) wanted to point towards the drivers side.. with the help of a pry bar we lined up the tranny & mount fine.. the 92 gave us a little more trouble but not too bad

I guess make sure the mount and everything is on correctly

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
When swapping a 5-speed into a AUTO supra you must cut away part of the hole to make it larger the auto hole that Toyota made was smaller then the 5-speed one..

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
my friend did it and it lined up perfectly in the middle and he didnt have to cut anything. i hear stories that some people have to cut. but the thing is the tranny is touching the tranny tunnel a little. it looks a bit off. but the driveshaft and everything is bolted it up and spins with no problem. if i shift the tranny for it to be straight and not touch the tunnel, the transmission mount will not line up. this is the only way it would bolt up.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What mount are you using? the metal part? is the engine mounts right? 87 and 91 use different brackets.

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
hvyman;1726817 said:
What mount are you using? the metal part? is the engine mounts right? 87 and 91 use different brackets.

im using the same tranny mount that came with my 1j when i bought it. im using 91 circle engine mounts, jza70 brackets.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

bioskyline;1726820 said:
are you using a 5spd tranny crossmember? or are you using the auto crossmember?

i would assume its a 5spd crossmember because it came with my motor setup when i bought it from jdm engine depot with the R154..are you suggesting i might need an auto crossmember?

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
hvyman;1726827 said:
Does the drive shaft look straight?

yea it looks straight and it spins fine without touching anything. but my car is on jackstands. not on a lift so its kinda hard to see if it might be a lil off since its right in my face

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
1wickedA70;1726822 said:
im using the same tranny mount that came with my 1j when i bought it. im using 91 circle engine mounts, jza70 brackets.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

i would assume its a 5spd crossmember because it came with my motor setup when i bought it from jdm engine depot with the R154..are you suggesting i might need an auto crossmember?

no you need the 5 spd mount. though there might be difference in the tranny crossmember from 87 to the 91?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
I had to cut the opening a bit for fit, but the R154 did not rub the tunnel on my swap. (Been over a dozen years ago... so memory is foggy... but did not have the issue you describe to my knowledge.)

-crisp

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
mine lined up quite nice ;) curious that its not fitting see if there is a line in the way pushing the bell housing or somethinng a little over

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
If you look on the tranny there are different places for that bracket to go back or forward on, I hope people understand what I am saying. 4 -12mm bolts hold the rubber mount on the tranny, then the actual bracket which is steal goes onto.

Some people cut the tunnel a little some don't.

As fro the cross member the early '89 uses 86.5-early '89 square engine mounts, late 89' + uses the nice fluid filled ones. It sounds like you have the correct mounts.

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
it fits. but just one side is touching the tunnel a bit. i didn't get the time to take a picture today. but tomorrow for sure i'll have a pic up for you guys..thanks for all the help! this shit is really stressing me out :/

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Is the 1jz motor alighned correctly on the crossmember mounts? Are the motor mounts JZA70 oem or custom?
Check inside the engine bay. You must be sure that the motor is placed 100% correctly on both axles...
Then you should consider to check the transmission and driveshaft.

# also: Is that an R154 trans from a Supra or a Soarer ?