r154 hard to shift when hot

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
as the title says, car drives perfect when cold, but after about 30 minutes of driving, it will be hard to shift, especially into 1st (from a stop).

things i have checked/done:

-adjusted clutch pedal to have more travel (release clutch more)
-verified tranny fluid level is good

it is really starting to get annoying when i get stuck in rush hour traffic. my next idea was to change the tranny fluid to some redline, but i have synthetic in there right now that i never had a problem with when i used it in my other tranny a few years back.

i was guessing MAYBE the clutch disc is not sliding on the input shaft anymore, and once the disc/flywheel/pp material warms up and expands, it's like i'm not releasing the clutch enough cause it's partially grabbing. only reason i think that is because i have adjusted the clutch already, and the car (if on perfectly level smooth ground) will kinda move forward a bit when i try to put it into first (like when the disc is in backwards).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You said you have synthetic in it now, but all synthetics are NOT the same and many contain friction modifiers that will make it worse...

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
replaced the master 2 months ago.

and yeah, i know about the friction modifiers, but would it get worse with temperature?

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
sorry jeff, i thought this fell under technical

jdub, so you're saying you would agree, it's the clutch disc no sliding on the input shaft?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
More so a synchro problem...worn most likely and a gear oil with friction modifiers in it will make it worse. Synchro's need some friction to function properly...worn + slippery oil = hard to get in gear. Thermal expansion will just magnify the situation.

Another thing to look at is the shifter seat bushing.

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
yeah, my shifter bushings are hurting, but i didn't think they were affected by heat.........i've been meaning to order a set from DM.

ok, i'll throw in some redline, and order up those bushings from DM now.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I like the Marlin Crawler poly bushings...they have a nice shifter end bushing too.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jdub;1403066 said:
I like the Marlin Crawler poly bushings...they have a nice shifter end bushing too.

driftmotion sells the marlin crawler bushings, and if they keep them in stock you'll know you're getting the right price and Aaron will be faster...

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
ok, so after 300km's of this super expensive Royal Purple oil, and new Marlin Crawler shifter bushings, i am still having the same damn issue.

any other ideas?

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
ah, are you fucking serious? every thread i have read said this Royal Purple works wonders in the r154, and is even better than Redline MT-90? man, i just spent $108 on this shit...............unbelievable.

ok Jdub, so i guess you're saying i should drain it, and try some redline?

edit: you know, it's kind of funny. the royal purple gear oil everyone was saying was better than mt-90 says it has the lsd additives in it and i was like wtf, i thought that was bad for trannys, but i guess if everyone is saying it helps with 1-2 shift, and 3-2 shift, and other little problems, i should try it.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Take it from someone that's tried em all (normal gear oil, royal purple max gear, royal purple syncromesh, redline MT-90), go with the MT-90...

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
I agree with MT-90. I had MTL in there previously but my bushings were worn. I replaced both bushings and put in MT-90 and it shifts great!

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
di_rosa;1410917 said:
ah, are you fucking serious? every thread i have read said this Royal Purple works wonders in the r154, and is even better than Redline MT-90? man, i just spent $108 on this shit...............unbelievable.

ok Jdub, so i guess you're saying i should drain it, and try some redline?

edit: you know, it's kind of funny. the royal purple gear oil everyone was saying was better than mt-90 says it has the lsd additives in it and i was like wtf, i thought that was bad for trannys, but i guess if everyone is saying it helps with 1-2 shift, and 3-2 shift, and other little problems, i should try it.

Must be on SF ;)

That is correct, RP has friction modifiers in it...not good for a R154.