R-154 Gear-Ratio question. Regarding the speedo gear.

cmdeshon

Jan 14, 2011
NC
sup fellas.

i recently swapped an R154 into my 83 CelicaSupra. the trans came out of a 1990 Supra. i believe this trans is set up for the 3.73 gears?

i plain on buying a new diff to match the transmission so that my speedometer will work.

So, heres my question. i want it to be set up for the 3.90 instead as i think 3.73's are a little to long for my taste.

Can i just pull out the little plastic gear that is under the speedo cable and replace it with one from an 86-88 car or do i have to actually open up the trans and replace internal parts too?

id really like to figure this out. this supra is my DD. its getting ready to be FAST and it is important to me that the speedo works. cant afford too many more tickets!

Want to figure this out as i would really like to get a 3.90 rear but i dont want to buy it if it wont work.

Also, What can one expect to pay for the gear with the right ratio? (the pice on the trans that the speedo cable plugs into) seams like i should be able to get a used one on the cheap....

-Craig.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
cmdeshon;1849901 said:
Can i just pull out the little plastic gear that is under the speedo cable and replace it with one from an 86-88 car or do i have to actually open up the trans and replace internal parts too?
Bingo. Contact a Toyota dealer, should be able to get the proper gear without too much trouble. ;)