Quitting smoking. What works?

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
So the GF has decided its time to quit smoking. Yay! She has tried to quit cold turkey in the past, but just couldn't do it. She recently went to the Dr. after hearing about a product called Chantix. After talking with another member at our last supra meet about how he was able to kick the habit with Chantix, my gf thought she would give it a try. She has been on it for a week now, and is down from at least 15 smokes per day, to only 3 per day now. Actually, she has only had one today so far. It is a 30 treatment, and I am hoping it works. So far so good.

I am wondering if any of you have quit smoking, or know anyone that has successfully quit the habit. How did you/they do it? Any advice, or words of encouragement would be great. I'm sure Amanda (gf) would like to hear it.

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
One of my co-workers did, she switched over to the sunflower seed plan. It roughly cost her the same as purchasing cigs, but she was successful at it in the end. The first week was pretty bad, because I saw her stockpile a small cubicle full of seeds and it was literally gone by the time Friday rolled around.

Then she discovered there were different flavors: nacho, ranch, bbq, spicy... man, life was good when there was a steady supply nacho. :naughty:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
A good way to quit is show her the cost: Week > Month > Year.
And a fuck load of juice fruit works too.
Its a habit, and a bad one. Just get her to switch to another habit that isn't going to kill her.

87mk3

umm...
Jan 30, 2008
philadelphia
D34DC311;1158322 said:
A good way to quit is show her the cost: Week > Month > Year.
And a fuck load of juice fruit works too.
Its a habit, and a bad one. Just get her to switch to another habit that isn't going to kill her.

Fruit worked really good for me too. See if she started on fruits then move to junk food she be 200lbs befor christmas dont want that now just stick with fruits pinapples mmmm lol

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Hey Dunk give me a call 425 244 8575

I quit last Oct. I took a combo of Chantix and Celexa. I am on the Celexa for depression . But together they worked wonders . Now I don't know if that would work for you two I would talk to your MD. There are a few side effects , so I would keep an eye out mostly I just got a little more depressed . I cannot be sure if it was that or the weather or what , but it was a small price to pay GOOD LUCK

OH I forgot but I did go from 135 to 191 so maybe try otterpops in sted of juice

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
LOL, NO NO, Juicy Fruit....LOL
1622.jpg

Fruit juice prolly will work too, I'm addicted to Grape Juice....MMMMMM

MK-111

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Wigan
Depends if she really wants to quit or not,
kicking the habit because someone else wants you to, generally does not work,even with the wonder drugs.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Chantix...i'm on it....went from 3 packs a day to none in like week and a half. no shit.

makes me feel wierd though. and the dreams? wow

and all of a sudden my posts are noticed....shit works great!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
in my dad's words "grow a fucking pair and put the fucking cigarettes down"

he quit cold turkey after 25+ years. He did pick up the sunflower seed habit, but it's not as bad as before.

maybe 1 bag for 3 weeks...

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
You guys have got to remember, it affects people differently. I feel the same way some of you do. "Just quit". I don't smoke, so I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to quit.

Tango_hotel

serial thread killer
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
I used a combination of the patch and exercise. It took about a month, and I didn't go to the bar or put myself in any situation that would let me cheat.

It's all about discipline.