Quiet Supra Please!

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
Hello all,
I've been saving up for a while now to invest in an HKS Downpipe, a test pipe, and the HKS Super Dragger Exhaust Toyota Supra MK3. But, I want to have a quiet car, partially because it's not really my personality and partially because where I live, cops have nothing better to do then give tickets to loud cars. Is there any product out there like a silencer or muffler that will make my car SUPER quiet if I'm going to have this set up? Thanks. Oh yea so pretty much when I get to the BOV stage, I want to mainly hear the BOV haha. I love that sound.

Michael

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Test pipe isn't going to help it stay quite, and the HKS Super Dragger is among one of the quieter exhausts out there (besides the HKS Turbo exhaust and the Tanabe). Any of the other silencers are things that go in the end of mufflers and are a major restriction...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Drove an HKS Turbo Sport exhaust from Mesa, AZ, to Vegas for SILV08. Eventually I had to let a friend drive, the thing was so quiet it was putting me to sleep. FYI, 1j's are naturally raspy engines, they're louder than a 7m for whatever reason...

Rather than a test pipe, I would suggest a resonator be setup where your cat/test pipe would go. BIC makes them I believe.

Poo, how much flow does a silencer in the tip tend to restrict? I've read that they tend to shift the torque delivery more towards the mid-range, sacrificing a bit of top end HP. Thoughts?

LPC

May 20, 2010
Rose Bay - Sydney
I am with yongai on this one, except my front pipe will be custom made (3'), I have a high flow cat and a tanabe rear box via a hotdog muffler and 3' piping. Can anyone reccomend a nice box to replace the hotdog that will quieten the car without being too restrictive.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
I run a HKS drager exhuast full 3" back, no cat, I cut the can type muffler off the end and installed a 3" straight pipe and the exhaust is super quiet still.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
As an owner of an HKS dragger (the one that looks like stock exhaust, not the other one), they are super quiet. Its just enough to give you car a throaty deep sound and people to notice you a car over but not at all loud for someone to pay attention more than a car length away unless your on the throttle hard and high RPM. It is the best exhaust out there IMO, the only thing I don't like about it is you cant readily hear the turbo like you can like a tanabe or something. Though the tanabe is significantly louder.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Can't go wrong with the super dragger, If quiet is what your looking for. I'm not looking for attention so it suits me well. I have had mine for four years looks great, and well built.

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
IwantMKIII;1617362 said:
As an owner of an HKS dragger (the one that looks like stock exhaust, not the other one), they are super quiet. Its just enough to give you car a throaty deep sound and people to notice you a car over but not at all loud for someone to pay attention more than a car length away unless your on the throttle hard and high RPM. It is the best exhaust out there IMO, the only thing I don't like about it is you cant readily hear the turbo like you can like a tanabe or something. Though the tanabe is significantly louder.

wait shouldnt you be able to hear the turbo better if the exhaust is quieter? Why would the tanabe, if it is louder, make you be able to hear the turbo better than a quieter exhaust? I'm pretty much a big noob, haha this is my first car

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
te72;1617263 said:
FYI, 1j's are naturally raspy engines, they're louder than a 7m for whatever reason...

If you think the 1J is a raspy motor, then what do you call the 7M and RB style exhaust note? throaty?..

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
yeah i agree with you.i have had the same exhaust on both engines, i think the 1j sounds a bit ricey. The 7m sounds lower and deeper. I love the sound of the 7m.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IwantMKIII;1617362 said:
As an owner of an HKS dragger (the one that looks like stock exhaust, not the other one), they are super quiet.

Huh? Got a picture of that exhaust? I didn't realize they made it dual tip.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
whitemike;1617487 said:
I don't know why he said raspy, the 1J is louder for sure.. but it's just LOUD it's not deep like the 7m/rb style..

yeah, that's what I was getting at.. the guy that dyno'd my car a few years back said the 1J had a really smooth sound compared to the RB and other engines he previously worked on.

of course, DP/exhaust/turbo/etc will make the car sound different.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Nick M;1617516 said:
Huh? Got a picture of that exhaust? I didn't realize they made it dual tip.

On my first Supra. People have no idea its modified, its totally sleeper until you hear the BOV that is.

0000013sr7.jpg