Quick question

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
Sorry but this is a stupid question. The insulation(or whatever it is)on the inside of my hood is torn and falling apart. So i was wondering what i should do, just take it off or take it off and replace it? If i am going to replace it should i get one from the dealer or replace it with something else? Let me know what you guys have done.

Thanks in advance

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
you could take it off but realize that was is here for a reason. permanently removing will make your car louder (so to speak). it will also cause your hood to soak up a lot more heat, destroying the heat. now, if your running a pretty stock motor i dont think you have to worry much.

im kinda regretting removing mine for these two reasons.

ed.d.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
super.secret.supra.club;1227264 said:
you could take it off but realize that was is here for a reason. permanently removing will make your car louder (so to speak). it will also cause your hood to soak up a lot more heat, destroying the heat. now, if your running a pretty stock motor i dont think you have to worry much.

im kinda regretting removing mine for these two reasons.

ed.d.

Destroying the hood you mean?

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Call Jeff at Champion... He got one for me but is was special order from Japan.... Took a while to get....

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
I always wondered why electrical connectors and other plastic components took a crap on MKIII's until I got one. Remember I ran my 7M in my Z for 3 years before I got my MKIII and I cant believe how much hotter the MKIII under hood temps are than the same motor in the 240 Z

I don't regret for a minute removing the under hood blanket from the MKIII.

Not disagreeing just posting my opinion, but Im 100% confident you don't NEED it. Good luck either way.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
So will removing it bubble the paint, or does it basically depend on what you're running and how you drive? To me the thing always just seemed like a big blanket but I could see what super.secret.supra.club was talking about with how it could screw up the paint with the heat.

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
ValgeKotkas;1227326 said:
IIRC the blanket has a ''fire-extinguisher'' role too.

BINGO! it's held on by plastic pins, And if there happens to be a fire the pins melt and the blanket comes down and extinguishes the fire. ( well supposed to lol)

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
^ There are metal clips that hold the insulation to the hood. There are plastic pieces that cover the clips.... That way on both my 91's anyway.