Quick Question...

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Ever since bringing my car out of storage from the winter I've noticed it's hard to start sometimes.

I've gone through about 6 tanks of gas since I've taken it out at the end of February so I can't think any stabo would be left in the system.

Basically (does not matter whether hot or cold) sometimes it will take 5+ cranks to start, stutter for a bit, then catch and start. It never used to do this before and I've got no clue what could be causing it. Could something with my fuel system be faulty? Or would it be the starter? The starter looks new and has never given me issues when cranking over. Plugs are new, coil packs are looking okay, always used 91 octane gas.

Shoot some ideas out there if you know what could be causing this.

I don't know if it's related but now that I've taken it out, my fuel economy has also significantly gone down, I used to get about 600+ km's to a tank, I get around 400 now, what's going on!

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
do you see a big cloud of smoke on startup? my valve seals are leaking (been too lazy to change them) so my car will take a few cranks before it starts up, and it'll stutter the same like yours while the oil burns off, then idles smooth..........but i don't know if it could've gotten that bad over the winter?

also, i had an issue with my old 1j ecu where over the winter the caps blew! so it was burning much more gas when i brought mine out, but i could boost fine, no hiccups. i only figured it out when i pulled the plugs and cylinders 2 & 5 were pure black.

i guess do all the regular stuff, check the plugs, check the vacuum at idle, check for codes, etc.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
steve1479;1561828 said:
Ever since bringing my car out of storage from the winter I've noticed it's hard to start sometimes.

I've gone through about 6 tanks of gas since I've taken it out at the end of February so I can't think any stabo would be left in the system.

Basically (does not matter whether hot or cold) sometimes it will take 5+ cranks to start, stutter for a bit, then catch and start. It never used to do this before and I've got no clue what could be causing it. Could something with my fuel system be faulty? Or would it be the starter? The starter looks new and has never given me issues when cranking over. Plugs are new, coil packs are looking okay, always used 91 octane gas.

Shoot some ideas out there if you know what could be causing this.

I don't know if it's related but now that I've taken it out, my fuel economy has also significantly gone down, I used to get about 600+ km's to a tank, I get around 400 now, what's going on!

How old is the 02 sensor?

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
^ It looks really old, I'm trying to contemplate if that would be the cause of my problems, or if it would be the fuel filter. I've got no smoke on startup or at anytime.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
If the 02 is dead/dying it will explain the economy hit, shouldn't effect starting though so there's 2 issues.

Starting may be something simple like a blocked CSI or badly out of tune.

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's only sometimes though, maybe 2 out of 5 starts it will give me that issue.

I'll have to replace my 02 sensor then, originally I thought both might have been to my cat being clogged, but I have a test pipe in there at the moment and nothing has changed so that ruled out that one.

Could an old fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator also cause terrible economy? I'd like to get around to changing the filter this winter during storage but due to the location, it's really putting me off doing it lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
steve1479;1562521 said:
It's only sometimes though, maybe 2 out of 5 starts it will give me that issue.

I'll have to replace my 02 sensor then, originally I thought both might have been to my cat being clogged, but I have a test pipe in there at the moment and nothing has changed so that ruled out that one.

Could an old fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator also cause terrible economy? I'd like to get around to changing the filter this winter during storage but due to the location, it's really putting me off doing it lol
Not really it would just be very lean.

My $ is on the 02 as they don't last forever.

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks IJ, I'll order the Denso replacement on monday and put it in this coming weekend. Hopefully I can get more than 400 Km's to a tank with it changed. I will let you know what happens.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
hows your battery charging? Mine died in storage and Ive been having problems with it. If you've got a voltmeter make sure its charging at 14.2v. Mines been charging at 13.1-13.4 and its a real pain in the ass. Charged it up to full and so far so good. I wouldnt worry about your starter, to me it doesnt seem to be the issue

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I brought my battery inside over the winter so it wouldn't drain as badly as if it were left in the garage but I'd have to check what it's at, it stays within the range that it was always in (this is according to my gauge on my cluster so...) but I know that it did need to have some water added to it as it looked a little bit under the full mark when i checked it last.

I'll fill up my battery with Ionized water and charge it up this weekend to see if that fixes it.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
steve1479;1562899 said:
Just to be sure, I thought 1JZ's did not have Cold Start Injectors?

to the best of my knowledge this is true. I know mine sure doesnt have one