Quick Q: How to remove stock oil filter?

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
It's first time I'm changing oil by my self on supra, not using Toyota dealership for that. I've tried searching but havent found anything. How to properly remove oil filter? I've tried spinning it off with hand but it seems that I have too little grip for that, because I've only managed to put one hand only on it. I've also tried to knock it off with rubber hammer and knocker, but also didnt managed to do any good, I've only a hole in that damn filter...

Luckely I havent poured out my old oil before trying to remove the filter :D

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
all I have managed to find till now are "horizontal" wrenches, but I dont even see how it would be possible to place it in there, since there's almost no space awailable for that. :(

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Well I don't have a GTE so I wouldn't know what to do. But I do know that you should look in to getting a relocation kit after.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
The 7M-GTE oil filter can be a pain. When I helped my fiancee's brother change his oil we had one person reach from above with gloves on and a long sleeve shirt and unscrew the filter by hand, then another person under the car to guide the first person's hand to the filter and make sure the filter didn't fall and spill oil everywhere. If you can find a filter wrench that just caps over the end of the filter that is the right size that would probably help.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
is this what you were looking at?

this is what I use:

Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

even if you put them on by hand (which most usually do) they still SHOULD be taken off with oil filter wrenches, as they bake themselves on over time, and are a huge PITA to get off otherwise. Hubby used to work at an oil change, and they did this shit day in and day out. A lot of repeat customers as well, and they'd always use oil wrenches.

come on guys

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I have always tightened mine with my hand as well, and taken off with the wrench, as I can't even undo my own work after 3+ months of being driven on

I use something like this, it is a cap that fits over the end of the filter and has a 3/8 hole for an extension so you can turn the thing with a ratchet. There are different sizes for different filters so make sure you get the one for a Toyota filter. You can get to the filter from under the car between the rear of the lower control arm and the body. Just be carfull not to burn yourself on your downpipe. Also, to get the filter out on a 7m, you have to lift the filter over the engine mount to pass it to the back and out via the back of the lower control arm. Best solution... filter relocation kit...I hope the discription makes sense.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Oil-Filter-Wrench-Tool-Socket-88-16-VOLVO-CAR-RANGE_W0QQitemZ300085322066QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10432QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Can't recall the last time I couldn't take one off by hand on any of my vehicles. Hell, I don't even own a filter wrench. Then again I don't use oil on the gasket either. I either put it on dry or use Dow Corning DC-4.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
jetjock said:
Can't recall the last time I couldn't take one off by hand on any of my vehicles. Hell, I don't even own a filter wrench. Then again I don't use oil on the gasket either. I either put it on dry or use Dow Corning DC-4.

^ah, interesting. we've always used engine oil on our filter gaskets.

Perhaps maybe you have hands like vice grips too? :icon_razz

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Most people use oil. They also tighten them like it says on the filter, not realizing it's only because the filter companies want to avoid the liability of one coming off ;)

Keep in mind when I say "by hand" I don't always mean bare hand. Sometimes I use the sandpaper trick, sometimes gloves. But never tools.

That said I rarely change the filter because I have a bypass filter on the engine. My current full flow filter has been on there 25K miles. Not to open another can of worms but even without a bypass system any decent oil filter will go at least 20K miles and will filter even better during the second run. On a healthy engine it's a waste of time and money to change a filter with every oil change. Even the auto makers have been saying that for years. Look at most new car owners manuals and you'll see. Changing the filter with every oil change is just another old oil rut many people are stuck in because they don't know better.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I have a horrible habit of not changing the oil filter at "3,000 miles" as "specified". I've never had any oil related engine failures, but perhaps that's why it's difficult for me to remove (along with the fact I'm a weak girly girl)

Caplax40

Grand Tourer
Feb 12, 2006
Boise, ID
My biggest problem is just finding a way to reach the damn filter. It's such a PITA to get to. I usually just lay perpendicular to the car, which makes it much easier to get to the filter.

And I'm in the "hand tightening" group. Haven't had too much trouble getting the filter off with that method!