Quick Q about "necessity" of 12V Fuel Pump Mod!?

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
Justin;1078287 said:
Since you used the same color wire on all four leads its impossible to try and tell what goes where.

List the destination of the wire compared to the pin on the relay. There should be 85,86,87,87a, etc.

I tried two different setups, look at the pic below to see what I mean by Wire 1 and Wire 4:

Setup 1:
Power: 87
Wire 1: 30
Wire 4: 85
Ground: 86

Setup 2:
Power: 85
Wire 1: 86
Wire 4: 30
Ground: 87

2mgwak9.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
This might help: http://tinyurl.com/5hjxm

Power from the battery should go to 30
The pump (wire 1) should go to 87
The original pump feed (wire 4) should go to 85
A ground should go to 86

Wires on 85 and 86 can be swapped, as can those on 30 and 87, but normal practice is to wire power to the movable contact and load to the fixed one. Just do it like I said...

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
And you can test that the pump is working through the diagnostic block. I believe you jumper B+and Fp. Someone (JJ) correct me if I'm wrong on those. I'm not where I have that saved right now.

Last edited:

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
ForcedTorque;1078364 said:
And you can test that the pump is working through the diagnostic block. I believe you jumper B+and Fp. Someone (JJ) correct me if I'm wrong on those. I'm not where I have that saved right now.

You're correct.

When you jumper those two, since the resistor is bypassed, 12 volts will go to the new relay you just installed, triggering it. Once the new relay is triggered the fuel pump will initilize.

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
Finally! The car is running:icon_bigg

Thanks JetJock for those settings. We found two blown fuses under the hood, one being the stock 15A FI fuse, and the inline 12V 30A fuse was blown as well. Perhaps this happened when we were trying different wiring settings. Not having a spare 15A on me, I put in an extra 30A in and replaced the inline fuse with another 30A and it fired right up.

The idle seemed a bit lower at first, but I think its gotten relatively back to normal after some driving. Just so I'm sure, I should not go into high rpm's/full throttle on the stock FPR correct? I've read Walbro/stock FPR can make you lean out, but I've read it can affect your idle so I'm trying to figure out if its one or the other or both.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
You be welcome. Yeah, a little circuit analysis shows what you did would've blown fuses. Good thing you put one up at the battery like you should have or you would've smoked that wire.

I see you used the other way of circumventing fuel pump control. It's one of three methods you could have chosen from. That way is actually best because it completely removes the relay from the circuit.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
I don't know what the aftermarket pump draws but if it's anywhere near the stock one running a wire from the battery is a waste of time. Then again I also feel running the pump on 12 volts full time is, for the most part, one of the dumber mods out there.

Jdub's method of jumping the resistor is "bad" only in the sense it leaves the relay in the circuit. I've seen a few relays go tits up. Also, a relay contact that doesn't periodically operate is trouble waiting to happen.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep...the jumper I use just removes the resistor and provides a constant 12V through the stock circuit. It will not remain this way...a rewire with a new relay is in the plan ;)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The black thingy is a bypass capacitor and its purpose is to shunt ac noise from the motor to ground thereby preventing it getting back into the car electrical system. That extra wire goes to the +ve terminal of the pump.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
rcsupra;1078450 said:
Just so I'm sure, I should not go into high rpm's/full throttle on the stock FPR correct? I've read Walbro/stock FPR can make you lean out, but I've read it can affect your idle so I'm trying to figure out if its one or the other or both.

I experianced quite the opposit, with the stock FPR and a walbro my car ran very rich. The stock FPR is matched to the flow of the stock pump, if you look at a graph of stock v walbro the walbro flows alot more fuel.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
ILikeCarsYesIDo;1073330 said:
A tiny bit off topic:

Should I expect to see a rise in fuel pressure after applying the 12v mod? Setting the fuel pressure to TSRM specs (23-30 vac line on) my car doesn't like to idle and sounds lopy. AFRs range from 15.5-16.5. When I set it to around 35-40 PSI, AFRs return to 14.7~ range and idle returns to normal and smooth.

Call me crazy, but I think we will see that the 9-12 volts is accounted for in TCCS, when 3p and brutus finish their work.

If you need to do this mod, you need to do all of it.

teedoff00;1066423 said:
Like everyone said, you don't NEED to do it, but it will make you life easier when tuning. I think it makes the pump last a lot longer as well. The rewire will take maybe an hour to complete. It is WELL worth the time, not to mention it only costs like 20 bucks to do.
Great mod for the money/time imo.

It doesn't make the pump last longer, it is for tuning alone. More wattage to the pump doesn't make it last longer.

Mixpro

Jun 16, 2008
Houston
If you just want to keep the pump at a constant 12V, you don't need a relay...just use the stock one. All you have to do is jump the resistor connector on the harness side to remove it from the circuit. Use wire at least the same gauge or larger than the harness.

So you telling me all I got to do is jump this here and I am at 12v mod???

(here is the pic)

http://www.putfile.com/pic/8218052

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
So the way it sounds now, this mod isn't even needed unless you tune your car, so what would happed if you just jump the two wires like "j"dub" did while your tunning and go back to nine volts while driving normaly, or did I miss the point? I know stock runs at nine then goes to 12 volts. Walbro says it needs 12 volts to opereate, does he mean 12 to run efficeintly? or does he mean 9 volts is O.K. but 12 would be best.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I think the answer will be found if we just ask this question

John (Jdub), why are you going to reverse on your decision to get 12 volts by jumping the fuel pressure relay? You stated you will go with shaeff's method, which BTW, includes jumping that relay.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ Maybe so he's not using the stock 20yr old wiring to feed the pump? (think: upgraded wiring)

Mixpro

Jun 16, 2008
Houston
If you just want to keep the pump at a constant 12V, you don't need a relay...just use the stock one. All you have to do is jump the resistor connector on the harness side to remove it from the circuit. Use wire at least the same gauge or larger than the harness.

So you telling me all I got to do is jump this here and I am at 12v mod???

(here is the pic)

http://www.putfile.com/pic/8218052