Quick oil pan bolt question

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
Well so far I think most of my questions have been a bit vague, but I have an easy one for you guys this time!

Oil pan (at the drain bolt) is leaking, should I use a rubber washer, or a copper one?
I've had a bunch of people on both sides of the issue, so I figured I would see what you guys say.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
i have used multiple copper washers and havent had any luck stopping my leak. my oil pan is pretty beat up too.

i went to orileys and bought a rubber coated washer w/drain plug, i think it was around 5-6$ iirc.
havent had any leaks so far, works great!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Mine leaked also from the previous owner over tightening it and forming a small dent around the hole. I put a Fumoto valve on it and now I don't have to worry about it sealing up because I don't have to actually take the drain plug out. It also makes oil changes super easy!

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Silver MK3;1951484 said:
Mine leaked also from the previous owner over tightening it and forming a small dent around the hole. I put a Fumoto valve on it and now I don't have to worry about it sealing up because I don't have to actually take the drain plug out. It also makes oil changes super easy!
Totally doing this now!!!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
IJ.;1951501 said:
Right up till you ground it tear the valve off and lose an engine... :nono:

Try a "Dowty" Washer

View attachment 68574

I don't have my car lowered and it only sticks like a half inch past the oil pan. Its almost flush with the subframe so I'm not worried about it hitting anything. As long as I don't take it off-roading I should be fine.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Let the oil drain for a good while til almost nothing comes out. Then put on toyota factory FIPG sealer on a new factory drain plug gasket. Works like a charm. And make sure you give oil pan sealing surface a quick wipe before installing drain plug.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
How's this? :D

1cFfOSc.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Is that what those are called. I love those.

On the subject of grounding the car and losing an engine, I've been trying to determine how to rig an oil level switch in the pan of my new 7M. Setting it to the height specified by the dipstick isn't too big an issue, it's figuring out that that might mean while the engine is running that I don't know what to do about. How much oil is going to be circulating around the engine while it's running? Since I think I'd need to take the pan off in order to readjust it, it'd be nice to know before hand.

I can think of a few ways to do this.

One would be to use a "fuel level" type sender in the pan. See how things go, and use a Schmitt trigger to set off a low oil light when the level goes below what I log as a low while I know that I have a reasonable amount of oil in the pan, then keep the light on until it goes above a known good point. This is the most complex solution, but has some cool features. I could probably adjust the high and low trigger points for when the engine is not running, and the dipstick levels should be active. Or I could just run a bar graph off the output as an oil level gauge.

Another would be to use the dipstick as a guide. Allow for the level to go to say, 1L below the "add" mark to allow for about that much to be circulating through the engine, and not in the pan. Might trigger false positives at high RPM or at high G manoevering (Though whether or not they're "false" at that point could be up for debate) but if it's a momentary flash of the light, it could just be good information to have as well. Less consistent, but good enough to catch most low oil level situations. This is what I'd LIKE to do, since the switches for these are relatively inexpensive and simple to find. For this though it would be best to know about how much oil to expect to be circulating through the engine within normal range of operations and temperatures.

Finally would be the "Oh shit" idiot light. Set the level just above the oil pickup, so if it goes off, shut the engine off NOW and hope that you haven't lost a bearing YET. Should only ever go off if you're changing the oil and left the ignition on for some reason, or if you've bottomed out the car and holed the oil pan. Minimal usefulness, but just barely better than the "low oil pressure" light that my old V8s used to have that let you know "you've probably already spun a bearing, but you probably haven't put a rod through the block yet."

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I ran a level sender in my LSx in the Mk3... 9 parts useless unless you were standing still Dan..

I ended up setting the MoTec Dash to bang a 2000 rpm limiter if the oil pressure was under xx @ yy rpm.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Thanks, IJ. I'll shelve the idea for now, and just keep a good eye on the oil pressure gauge. I just figured that with that nice bolt hole in the oil pan where the factory cooler used to go, I could use it for something else.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
IJ.;1951572 said:
I ran a level sender in my LSx in the Mk3... 9 parts useless unless you were standing still Dan...

I ended up setting the MoTec Dash to bang a 2000 rpm limiter if the oil pressure was under xx @ yy rpm.

That is very cool. Sorry for not knowing jack but when you say Motec dash is that just the standalone or is there a whole motec kit that goes together to accomplish engine management like this?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Im fairly new to this stuff and haven't heard of this before but that is a great idea. Would take my mind off my biggest fear a little more. Ever seen one of these switches wired up on an mk3?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
7M4EVR;1951623 said:
That is very cool. Sorry for not knowing jack but when you say Motec dash is that just the standalone or is there a whole motec kit that goes together to accomplish engine management like this?
Their Dash will work Standalone it's very powerful, but to do the RPM limiter you need some sort of programmable ECU!