quick head gasket replacement question

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
Im doing my first headgasket job and ive been reading up all that, i just have a quick question, do you put any sort of gasket maker/sealer on the head gasket? or just a bit on the corners? or nothign at all? i did a quick search and didnt see anything about it, but i gotta head off to work right now, any tips or advice would be much appreciated! thanks

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Using spray copper sealer on a OEM composite HG is fine, I do it to help fill in block/head imperfections. On a new MHG with the factory Viton coating you do not want to use the sealer...it damages the Viton.

The are 2 places on top of the rear timing cover the TSRM calls for RTV sealant. This is to seal against an oil leak...you do need the RTV in these locations.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
jdub i know with studs it holds the headgasket in place but how do people with bolts make sure their headgasket covers the entire cylinder and not a little off?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There are 2 index pins that are placed in the block, front & rear...you line up the holes in the HG with the pins...same for the head ;)

This does bring up a good point if the OP decides to use the copper spray on an OEM HG: I use 2 coats and wait till tacky. You very carefully place the HG on the block using the index pins for alignment. Same for the head and the RTV on the rear timing cover has to be applied 1st...you get one chance to do this right with sealer on the HG.