quick hdr

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
went out on a nice drive today and stopped to monkey around with the point & shoot quickly. this is only my second or third time playing with HDRs, tips would definitely be appreciated.

p1253450_1.jpg

p1253450_2.jpg

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Need a more interesting background for the HDR effect to actually look decent. Something contrasting, more 3 dimensional.

Some wannabe HDR shots; regular point n shoot + Photoshop fun:

p1253618_1.jpg

p1253618_2.jpg

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i have taken a few really nice ones but its kinda hard to get a color variation when everything around here is dead :D wish spring would get here.

i love that last shot tanya. how'd you use photoshop to make it? i've been using photomatix

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Tanya;1253618 said:
Need a more interesting background for the HDR effect to actually look decent. Something contrasting, more 3 dimensional.

Some wannabe HDR shots; regular point n shoot + Photoshop fun:

p1253651_1.jpg

p1253651_2.jpg

Damn you southerners with your nice MK2's.:( Makes me miss mine,they are few and far between up here anymore,especially with rear quarters intact.
Cool pics Tanya

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Clip;1253649 said:
i have taken a few really nice ones but its kinda hard to get a color variation when everything around here is dead :D wish spring would get here.

i love that last shot tanya. how'd you use photoshop to make it? i've been using photomatix

In Virginia? Come on there's GOT to be more interesting backgrounds than that. Something that contrasts with your red car greatly. A creek, an overpass, a grey building, rockcliffs, train tracks, purple unicorns on skateboards...

Photoshop > adjustments > shawdow/highlight tool is VERY fun to play with. Also brightness/contrast, hue/saturation... I don't do anything very difficult, and come out with great results usually, just got to keep tweaking. Also creating a duplicate layer, with a slight blur and then "overlay" it on the 1st layer creates a nice contrasty result. Keep a copy of the original layer, flatten the overlayed layer and play with shadow/highlight.

toy fanatic78;1253651 said:
Damn you southerners with your nice MK2's.:( Makes me miss mine,they are few and far between up here anymore,especially with rear quarters intact.
Cool pics Tanya

Um. My car was "bought" in Washington state, and that's where she still is. AFAIK, it's never been in the South. And she's really not that nice looking, I am just really good at Photoshoppin' her ;)

p1253674_1.jpg

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Tanya;1253674 said:
Um. My car was "bought" in Washington state, and that's where she still is. AFAIK, it's never been in the South. And she's really not that nice looking, I am just really good at Photoshoppin' her ;)

My bad,thought the car was in FL,where your location is.Here in the "rust belt" AKA the Midwest.They have become very hard to come by in savable condition.
I was in awe when I went to FL in 2K1,tranny started going in Georgia(lost 3 &4)
Kept going,and made it to Naples.The junkyard there had 11 MK2's,mostly rust free.I would have tried to get one from the junkyard had I stayed down there any longer,and swapped all the parts from mine at the time.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
2001, hah. That's when I got my 1st Supra. In Bonita Springs, the JY there had a lot of mk2s, but in Naples, I've not seen more than 2 cars at either at a time. There is only 1 there now, and it's a red hardtop auto I used to own :[

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
It might not have actually been Naples,that's where I stayed at,(golden gate,I think it was part of Naples at least)I remember it was about a half hour drive to the junkyard I got the trans from.There was also 4 MK2's within a mile of the apartment I was in.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
on my drives out here (blacksburg/virginia tech) i've mostly got fields and farms around. only green is on the pines and mountain laurels when i get home i've got a nice industrial park i haven't shot at yet. just wait til she's all waxed :D

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
dachande, im going to try and dumb this down for myself :D i've got this canon a540 for a few more days, but switching to a canon digital rebel xsi.

looks like on all canons (xti, xs, xsi) i can only change exposure from -2 to +2, in 1/3 steps. you're saying to take exposures over the greatest range possible, AND at different fstops? would i just vary the f/ as i change exposures or would i vary the f/ for each exposure, then change exposures?

again, thanks for patience when dealing with a new guy :)

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Sorry for confusing you, but by stop I just meant each exposure setting to stop at..my bad :icon_bigg
Try and take a lot more exposures at different ranges like:
-4 -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 +4

Better to have more range to work with, and you don't always have to use all of them if you see that they are wayyyyy over/underexposed. I use P (which is going to choose the right f/) to do mine, but if you buy a camera with bracketing all of the work is taken out of it.
Even after doing that you aren't always guaranteed a good HDR, so you'll just have to go out and take a lot of pics and experiment.

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Hmmm..that's weird. I would have expected them to have a much greater range. I know a couple people with Canons..I'll try and check with them tomorrow and see if they've done any HDR stuff.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Sorry Clip, wish I could help you out with the camera physics and all that, but I am too broke to afford cool cameras, hehe.

I decided to play around with the last 2 pics you posted, and made this
p1254157_1.jpg

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Tanya;1254157 said:
Sorry Clip, wish I could help you out with the camera physics and all that, but I am too broke to afford cool cameras, hehe.

i would be too but i just got my tax return :)

if you get bored some day lemme know and i'll email the other 3 exposures, that last pic you posted turned out great :bigthumb: