questions on running a T3/T4 on a 7m

nick rossow

Mar 23, 2008
florence, ky
i have been looking at new turbo setups for the car, currently running a 60-1 CT26 and now i am looking to go for a T3/T4 setup on the car. check my build thread for supporting mods. Does anyone make an adapter turbo elbow to run a V-Band style turbo while still using the 7m style downpipe? I have looked at the BOSS style turbos but for the cost i could just put a different setup and have alot more turbo choices as i havent seen a whole lot of people put down big numbers on the Boss turbos. any suggestions and comments are welcome especially from the guys that have had this dilemma before.

thanks

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Looks to me that you got most of the supporting mods to run around 450 rwhp. Do you have a stock rebuilt engine? Have you dyno'd the car and if so what are your numbers? On that ct26/60-1 is it just upgradded or is it that $700 dollar full bolt cartridge from ebay?

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Are you planning on keeping the stock mani and just getting an adapter to make the turbo fit on it? I just went to a 67mm T4 turbo and had full exhaust done, it cost an arm and a leg, but that's because I had a tubular manifold made.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
If you going with a tubular manifold, my sugestion is a t4 set up.
- Ebay manifold $200,
- Master Power turbo of your liking from t61,t63,t63,t66,T67,OR T70From MODULAR TURBO about 600-650 shipped talk to him.
-Oil line kit $150
- wategate from ebay $150 or real on for $300-400 dllrs
- Downpipe make on out of this $135
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jzsingleturbodownpipekit.php
-

Etc Etc and youll be about 1500 +/- for the set up. It all depends on your budget man good luck

nick rossow

Mar 23, 2008
florence, ky
i have already priced everything and its just a little over 1000 dollars to do all of it. i am going to make my own elbow so that i can still use the stock style MK3 downpipe

nick rossow

Mar 23, 2008
florence, ky
for my car big numbers would be around 500 RWHP, i was looking into the Holset line of turbos as i have a few friends that run them on 2.5l 4 cyl engines and are putting down very good numbers and good times at the track. and it can be had brand new for a little over 500 dollars locally. If you have any videos or dyno runs of people using the boss turbos link them up please. i have noticed a couple people on here just go T3/T4 after they put a boss turbo on.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
A medium sized Boss did 540 rwhp on stock internals. No head work. Their bigger turbos will obviously do more with supporting mods.

I don't know anybody that went from a Boss to a t3/t4. That is going backwards. Then again, maybe people here do do that. The T3 exhaust housing is kind of small, even for a 3 litre.

Let me search for you.

And here.

And here.

Cliff notes, 18 psi, 480 rwhp, 24 psi, 540 rwhp. BOSS 550.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
What do you think is cost effective? I think 542 rwhp under $2000 for everything is pretty good. Similar turbos are about that much for just the turbo. Seems like the TDO6 kit was based around 2100, as opposed to base at 1500.

Just for refrence, a Boss stage 5 with 67mm, which is what he said his is, retails at $1395. I just checked. No manifold or adapter required. Although an install kit seems like it would help. A flexible oil line would definitely be easier.

And don't think I am telling you what to get. I am not. But I am gathering info of what other people think.

nick rossow

Mar 23, 2008
florence, ky
well i priced everything out for running a holset turbo and it was a little over 1000 bucks. when getting a decent BOSS is close to 2000 for all the options and still running off of stock manifold. DM has a full kit with a gt35r for 2400.

all the info is needed. just wish some more people would chime in with pros and cons of certain turbos. all these guys with turbo rangers running holset turbos are putting a massive whoopin on me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
So you have spent 1000 of the 1500 and don't even have a manifold yet. Treadstone makes a replica of the HKS original for a decent price. Have you seen it yet?

The Cartech is 700, and they will make it T3 or T4. If they still are willing to do it.

Or are you going to buy a china special for 200?

nick rossow

Mar 23, 2008
florence, ky
havent seen that manifold yet and the one i was looking at is on driftmotion and suprasports website for around 200. the 1000 was with the china manifold in the mix

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
from personal experiences i would highly recommend getting a Boss series turbo. i had a smaller boss on my supra, it was just the .57 trim. I then decided to go with a T70 thinking since its bigger i would make more power. I tell you right now i wish that boss turbo was still on my car. It pulled so much harder than the T70 does, im considering getting a Boss GTS 67mm turbo now. I can only imagen how hard that would pull compared to the .57 i had. Boss turbos are pricey.. but you get what you pay for