Questions on having my Supra tuned

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
I have an '87 turbo Supra. There's not much in the way of engine mods. The wastegate is shimmed to around 9-10 lbs of boost. I have a SAFC2 installed, but it's not doing anything except for monitoring right now. I may have found a shop in my area that can tune it with a dyno and all the necessary equipment to utilize the AFC. What I need to know is what should I tell them or expect from them as far as tuning? I think that I've heard that a 12:1 A:F ratio is ideal for general street use. "Street" is ideal for me. What else should I know or make sure they know if they do it? The reason I ask is I don't know how much this particular shop knows about Supras or AFC tuning. Also, what have you all paid for tuning, so I can know what to expect.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
You want it richer that 12:1 for street duty and pump fuel. I shoot for 11.4:1. IMO, best safe power.

The shops around here get $100 an hour for dyno time. YMMV.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
chevyeater said:
You want it richer that 12:1 for street duty and pump fuel. I shoot for 11.4:1. IMO, best safe power.

eh....to me it depends on how much the temp changes where you live...AND how much boost you are running...

honestly i think 11.4 is VERY conservative for at the least his case. i would think around 12:1 would be fine for street use as long as its 93 octane going in.

with bigger turbos i would even tune lean up to around 5-6psi to help the spool characteristics and then richen it up to around 11.5 up top so its nice and safe but still making power.

tuning is all about the specific car and climate though...so its really what you feel you want to do with it. but 12:1 shouldnt be a problem.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
keep in mind dyno a/f will be slightly richer due to loading differences. i shoot for 11.5-11.8 on the dyno which will yield ~12:1 on the street.
where are you in tn?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
chevyeater said:

YMMV when I search comes up with "Your Mileage May Vary", which clearly isn't in this context.
What does yours mean, Brian??! lol

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
at your level.. (stock fuel, low boost) i'd say 12.0 would be fine..

Once you get lex afm/550s i would go a little more conservative since timing is a little more advanced and 11.5 would be a good conservative a/f to go for..

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
pimptrizkit said:
which way does it go for lean and rich?

rich-----lean
10.0 ---13.00

????

aight thanks.

yes. the lower the number the more rich, the higher the number more lean.

tissimo-
while you might be able to do it, i still tune for 11.5-11.8 whether its a bone stock supra or a highly modified supra w/ a gt42.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
Thanks for the input guys. I talked with someone at the shop I was considering today. He said they don't have a dyno. Now, I'm no tuning genius, but I thought you would HAVE to have a dyno to tune a Supra with an AFC. Am I wrong? I suppose I should look elsewhere?

Oh, and to whomever asked...I am in the Knoxville area of TN.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
A dyno would be really nice. A datalogging wideband and an empty road would suffice but brings up several sticky issues like crashing the car while tuning, speeding tickets etc.

Also, remember, the wideband is reading the collected average of all the cylinders. I wouldn't want my leanest hole past 11:9 on the street, especially on pump gas of any variety.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
chevyeater said:
A dyno would be really nice. A datalogging wideband and an empty road would suffice but brings up several sticky issues like crashing the car while tuning, speeding tickets etc.

Also, remember, the wideband is reading the collected average of all the cylinders. I wouldn't want my leanest hole past 11:9 on the street, especially on pump gas of any variety.

Exactly! Dyno and wideband were the two items I thought were significantly missing from this guy's toolbox. I think they're pretty important.