questions about synthetic oil (Mobile 1)

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
My 1.5JZ was "recently" installed. 2 1/2 years ago, but I've only driven it 3k miles due to a year long deployment. It was completely rebuilt, broken in well and it has great compression numbers across all cylinders. Everything was brand new when the motor went in. Turbo, oil pump, hydropump....everything.

I had an oil leak at the front main seal just after the install, which I replaced (a Toyota seal). It continued to have a slow drip. Thinking that it might be from the oil pan, I dropped the sub frame and re-sealed it. Still has the slow drip, one or two drops a day on my garage floor. Thank God that I epoxy coated my garage floor when I bought our house.

Today my son was following me and he said that when I shift gears, it puffs smoke. Hmmm. The head was pulled about a thousand miles ago and it was completely rebuilt (again, with new Toyota seals). I know anything is possible, and I know the something could have gone wrong, but Im starting to wonder if synthetic oil is the culprit. I have heard that full synthetic oils are "too slick" and can pass my perfectly good seals, but Im skeptical by nature.

I know the answer to my question is an oil change away, but hopefully JDub (a known expert) or other seasoned guys can chime in with their experiences. Can my drips and puffs be caused by Mobile 1 oil?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
rakkasan;1960685 said:
I have heard that full synthetic oils are "too slick" and can pass my perfectly good seals, but Im skeptical by nature.

Yeah, that isn't so. It is possible that the seals you put in where not installed correctly. Don't feel insulted by that, it happens.

How is Campbell? No longer in the 3rd?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I'm positive the front main is installed correctly. Oil pan too. I didn't the put the valve seals in, the machine shop did so anything is possible. Guess I will need to look into replacing them a 3rd time :-/. I will look at the turbo oil seal, but it only seems to smoke when shifting (vacuum) so I'm leaning towards the valve seals.

I've been at Campbell for a little over 2 years now. It's home for me, but I miss 3ID a little. Good unit

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
10W30, nothing special.

Im pulling the intake and looking in the downpipe tomorrow and investigate is a bit. Im hoping that the turbo is the culprit, its a lot easier. Regardless, It's getting fixed, I cant stand it

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If there's a groove worn in the crank from the old seal, then a new seal can leak. Sometimes its possible to position the new seal offset enough from the original position to contact fresh metal by putting a washer behind it. I have also seen "seal savers" for various engines. These are sleeves that cover the groove. I know they exist for some Toyota V6's. Not sure about the JZ or 7M. I had this problem with my differential half shafts.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Time to have the turbo rebuilt. It's not smoking when shifting, but while in boost. I pulled the intake and found some shaft play. Im relieved actually, I wasn't looking forward to tearing the head off again.

Oh, and the drip wasn't from the motor, it was from the oil cooler. Another easy fix. Little victories

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
okay, this is proof that knowledge does have a price. Or should I say a lack of knowledge will cost you. I found the root of the problem, the PVC system. falling on my sword, I will admit mine is all jacked up. I wasn't getting a positive vacuum on the system to evacuate the positive crank case gases and caused brand new seals to leak and oilt to pool up in the bottom of my turbo. Not knowing the correct way has cost me $300 damage to my turbo and it needs to be rebuilt. Lessons learned, bills paid but it will all come out in the wash I guess

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
A little off topic. Full synthetic oils can have more detergents and can clean deposits and buildups that may be around seals....this could cause an old seal to leak.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
AJK;1961135 said:
A little off topic. Full synthetic oils can have more detergents and can clean deposits and buildups that may be around seals....this could cause an old seal to leak.

True, but the deposits are only masking a damaged seal that needs to be replaced