questions about pricing for 7mgt

turbo87mk3

Mar 6, 2010
holley
swap, what is the total price of a 1jz complete swap into an mk3? complete meaning even the adapter to use the stock 5 speed tranny in the mk3.

cuz my 7m is just having to many problems. >_< plus my buddys getting an mk4 so i kinda cant put a 2j in her..

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

please PM me with price.. cuz i usually dont look at the form after i post it cuz im always busy.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
It would most likely be cheaper to do a "budget rebuild" on your 7m not to mention parts for a 1jz are getting difficult to find.

This is not an easily answered question. There are too many factors that come into play. Is your car an 89+? Are you sure the 1jz your buying is strong? I take it your car is already a 5-speed. We could come up with a price and still be $500-$1000 dollars off. Whatever you do, take your time, learn as much as you can (the search feature and build-up section are your friends), do it right the first time and good luck to ya!

You can have speed, cheapness and reliabilty but you can only have 2 of them. Best advise i've ever gotten.

turbo87mk3

Mar 6, 2010
holley
wow.. thanks man :) that line on the bottom im most likley going to write down and have it be one of my fav qoutes.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

ohh, also no my supra is a 87. its got the r154, i would do a 2jz cheap reliable swap. i dont want a lot of power. just enough to get the car up and goin. and its gotta be able to outrun subarus and turbo hondas. lol and like you said 1jz is getting harder to find parts for.. but then again it feels like the moment i rop the 7m out, the 2jz will become impossible to find stuff for. basically if i knew someone that has done the swap, id hire them to come to my house and do it for me that way i didnt mess anything up haha. but yea.. i would love a 89+ supra..

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
bone stock 7m rebuild could be as low as $1500-2k if done properly (bottom end). Just add your forged parts and go up from there. You could get by even cheaper but id question who was assembling it at that point and the range of tolerances they are capable of getting things to. If priced my forged build with a well known 7m builder. Still cheaper then a jz swap.. and Im starting FRESH.

Go look at a few imported motors ( i wasn't very pleased to say the least), you'll spend $5-600 in gaskets and hoses alone to get everything up to par. aristo 2jz with auto trans is usually $1800-2500. Bell housing $300, oil pan $3-500. What about the wiring? stock turbos? 1jz's with an r154 ar right around $2000( then add ($2-300 for shipping). If you get the right oil pan you'll save but again the wiring, and IC setup and gaskets, seals and hoses.. What cooling fan setup as well? not a lot of options with the 1j for a mechanical fan. add $300 for quality electric ones. Hows the radiator? add $2-500. Clutch? add $150-600. fuel pump and fpr add $1-300. Injectors? add $4-600. Missing motor mount brackets or igniter or map sensor? add $100-400 Get my drift? it adds up un godly fast.