Questions about Hot tanking motor.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Ok so after a few BHG's im finally through with it and going
to go with the MHG, after i get the head resurfaced etc etc
id like to get my motor hot tanked and just cleaned out basicly.

In turn i talked to a buddy of mine from Nolden motorsports
and he said id have to take everything out of the motor pistons,
rings, crank etc. So my motor has to be completely empty? and
that also goes for the outside also? completely stripped out?

And ill have to get new pistion rings right?

Anyone know how much hot tanking normally costs? most of the
places ive called around he dont do that nor know how much it costs.

Also if someone would what else do i have to do? he said something
about honing it out but didnt elaborate too well.

I tried asking the machine shop guys but they were just being assholes
as usual.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Leave the AUX/Oil Pump driveshaft in place or you'll be replacing the bearings for it.

Everything else depends on the condition of the block after it's clean and inspected.

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
IJ.;1506724 said:
Leave the AUX/Oil Pump driveshaft in place or you'll be replacing the bearings for it.

Everything else depends on the condition of the block after it's clean and inspected.

Whether or not you leave the shaft in place it will ruin the bearings (assuming where he takes it to uses something like caustic soda or any other solution that corrodes aluminum)

Yes you really should take everything off the motor, get it de-glazed and install new piston rings. Many people will re-use old rings and not de-glaze the cylinders but I'm personally not a fan of that. From what I've seen you never get all that great of a ringseal when you reuse old rings.

Around here hot taking is usually in the vicinity of 60$ CAD and 10$ a cylinder to de-glaze (or they charge per hour)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
So the 20+ SBC's I've done this way have all been ruined....

I don't post shit without practical experience.

Why tell the kid to "deglaze" shit until it's inspected and the bores actually measured to see if it's servicable.

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
IJ.;1506749 said:
So the 20+ SBC's I've done this way have all been ruined....

I don't post shit without practical experience.

Why tell the kid to "deglaze" shit until it's inspected and the bores actually measured to see if it's servicable.

#1 Apparently the cleaning solution you used is farrrr less corrosive than the 3 shops that I've worked at. I used that theory of "leave the cam in" several times and the cam had excessive play afterwards because all traces of babbit/alum were gone.

#2 I don't post shit without practical experience either.

#3 I apologize for jumping to the conclusion that his bore would be ok with a deglaze. Chill.

lol.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Had my own tank at home for years, NEVER had an issue but of course it would depend on how the bearings measured after the tank, if they're sloppy they're sloppy and need to be replaced.

Over the years here there have been so many horror stories about shops fucking the bearing replacement job.

This is the tech section don't assume, give good advice and there isn't an issue, you tell him it just needs a deglaze and it get's stuck in his head the shop tank and measure it and it needs a bore and he in his mind feel's that they're ripping him off and begins to question everything they do and say from that point on and becomes a PITA customer.

If you've worked in the industry you know exactly the type I'm talking about.

Don't tell me to "chill" I've spent way too many years trying to make our Tech sections worthwhile to let things slide now.

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
IJ.;1506762 said:
Had my own tank at home for years, NEVER had an issue but of course it would depend on how the bearings measured after the tank, if they're sloppy they're sloppy and need to be replaced.

Over the years here there have been so many horror stories about shops fucking the bearing replacement job.

This is the tech section don't assume, give good advice and there isn't an issue, you tell him it just needs a deglaze and it get's stuck in his head the shop tank and measure it and it needs a bore and he in his mind feel's that they're ripping him off and begins to question everything they do and say from that point on and becomes a PITA customer.

Don't tell me to "chill" I've spent way too many years trying to make our Tech secions worthwhile to let things slide now.

I do indeed work in the industry and I know exactly what you're talking about, i saw my mistake/assumption and have already apologized for it.

Don't assume from now on though that leaving the shaft in will save the bearings though :p What solution did you use in your tank?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1506762 said:

Don't tell me to "chill" I've spent way too many years trying to make our Tech sections worthwhile to let things slide now.

thorpedo;1506775 said:
I do indeed work in the industry and I know exactly what you're talking about, i saw my mistake/assumption and have already apologized for it.

Don't assume from now on though that leaving the shaft in will save the bearings though :p What solution did you use in your tank?

Just plain Caustic Soda, it was replaced on regular intervals mixed at the correct ratios so maybe that's why I never had an issue.

Most shops just dump a bag in if they think it needs it....

NOT slamming you in any way shape or form just that SM Tech isn't going to turn into Stupid Forums... where 90% of the answers given are clueless.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Failure14;1506719 said:
Ok so after a few BHG's im finally through with it and going
to go with the MHG, after i get the head resurfaced etc etc
id like to get my motor hot tanked and just cleaned out basicly.

In turn i talked to a buddy of mine from Nolden motorsports
and he said id have to take everything out of the motor pistons,
rings, crank etc. So my motor has to be completely empty? and
that also goes for the outside also? completely stripped out?

And ill have to get new pistion rings right?

Anyone know how much hot tanking normally costs? most of the
places ive called around he dont do that nor know how much it costs.

Also if someone would what else do i have to do? he said something
about honing it out but didnt elaborate too well.

I tried asking the machine shop guys but they were just being assholes
as usual.

If you're prepping the block for a MHG the block needs to be stripped down anyway...

There are alternatives to hot tanking as well. Do research on engine building before you get into this as it's obvious you don't have a clue and a machine shop can easily take you for a ride because of it.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Poodles;1506829 said:
If you're prepping the block for a MHG the block needs to be stripped down anyway...

There are alternatives to hot tanking as well. Do research on engine building before you get into this as it's obvious you don't have a clue and a machine shop can easily take you for a ride because of it.

I've done alot, just not a alot on the 7M, and every other motor ive seen people elaborating on the rebuild all do different things when they took it to the shop etc etc so thats why i came here =/

And yea i agree i do need to do more research but its just hard to find things
that explain such subjects to a person that hasn't done the operation before.

Most of them just say things as "I stripped it and took it to the shop to get resurfaced, picked up back up and then put this and this on"

What exactly are the pro's for hot tanking a motor? Just to clean it out and get refreshed?, Im pretty sure at the moment im just going to get it resurfaced due to the fact that i dont know much about the process of getting a motor hot tanked.

When i take it to get resurfaced what are the main things they need and need only?

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
hot tanking is used mostly for cleaning and inspection. You dont cut your hot food with a dirty used knife right? Same thing only if you resurface the deck of the block without cleaning it, it only leads to trouble. In order to resurface it's recommened/required, depending on the shop, to pull the whole engine apart. While your in it you might as well freshen bearings. rings, etc. why put old crap back into an engine when its all apart anyway? It's better for the long run.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
So you're saying if i dont hot tank my motor the odds of something happening due to me
not hot tanking my motor is pretty high?

Elaborate on this?

I just plan on rod bearings, resurface and mhg.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Hot tanking is good....ultrasonic is better...pressure washing is ok...

A hot tank gets things CLEAN! But it can eat bearings and freeze plugs...

Very few shops have an ultrasonic cleaner so rule that out

pressure washing works but you must get oil on it asap to displace the water..

If you don't clean the engine then obviously it will be dirty which makes contamination chances higher....you would never clean your $100 sunglasses with a mud covered shirt right?! Same applies...

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
gaboonviper85;1510233 said:
Hot tanking is good....ultrasonic is better...pressure washing is ok...

A hot tank gets things CLEAN! But it can eat bearings and freeze plugs...

Very few shops have an ultrasonic cleaner so rule that out

pressure washing works but you must get oil on it asap to displace the water..

If you don't clean the engine then obviously it will be dirty which makes contamination chances higher....you would never clean your $100 sunglasses with a mud covered shirt right?! Same applies...

Alright well i mise well do it right and do it once this time...

Thanks for everyones reply, I appreciate it alot, im sure ill have a few more questions before i take it down
there.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
omg. you don't have to hot tank it. if the machine shop is somewhat updated they will have a different tank that they can use. in cali hazardous waste laws are way strict. all the machine shops around here can't even have one if they wanted to.

i would never pressure wash a block with water either. to easy for the bores to get stained or rust with fresh machine work.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Failure14;1510227 said:
So you're saying if i dont hot tank my motor the odds of something happening due to me
not hot tanking my motor is pretty high?

Elaborate on this?

I just plan on rod bearings, resurface and mhg.

Not main bearings? Not rings?

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Poodles;1510463 said:
Not main bearings? Not rings?

Yea i plan on doing those also, just didnt state in in my aforementioned post.

Also do i need "Everything" stripped out of the motor before
resurface/hot tank? Like everything? If not what can i leave in if anything?

I'd rather ask here than goto the machine shop and let them notice
i know nothing about this process and as the guy above said maybe even
take advantage of me.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
to make sure every thing is clean the only things you can leave on is the oil pump ds(as long as there going to not hot tank) and the rear timing cover. i would torque the timing cover before even going there and tell them not to remove it.