Questions about GE auto to GTE 5spd swap.

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
Have a few questions regarding the GE to GTE swap.
1) What is this about the PS reservoir? I have the reservoir from the GTE, but why is it different, and how/where exactly does the new one mount?
2) When using the engine harness from the GTE that is 5spd as well as the GTE ecu, what do I need to do to my auto dash harness to make all the 5spd work correctly, namely cruise and reverse lights.
3)does someone have a hose routing diagram? I looked at the TSRM, but wasn't finding what I needed. All my hoses were cracked and just came apart when I disassembled my engine.
4) The engine turned out to have a MHG, and I'm going back to another MHG. Should I have the head/block relapped again, or can I just make sure both surfaces are clean and put the new one on barring any warpage?
I think thats all I have for now, but I'm sure I will have more, as I'm just about to the point of putting the new seals in the GTE to get ready and pull the GE and drop the new in. Thanks for the help guys. We really need to do a GE to GTE swap sticky, as I know not everyone wants or can really afford the 1/2J route.

bluezone

Jul 15, 2008
ont.
i just went through this swap late this summer when a close friend of mine died. and had to get out of his once garage. i found little real info on this exact swap when i searched.

1)the res. has to be moved to make room for the flow meter and intercooler piping. thats why the different set-up. it mounts beside the cps(cam position sensor)

2)havent worked out the cruise contol problem yet. it needs some plugs and splicing to make it work. reverse lites work automaticly with this exact swap. you will have no safty switch for the clutch but the engine will start. clutch in or out. be careful.

3)there is a dig. for the vacume routing in the tsrm. dont remember the page off hand. i have my own tsrm and motors manual. it's a little difficult to read though and 1 hose connection is not really showen. this is from the hard lines running below the intake terminating on top of the motor somewhere which i dont recall. but i will look if nessary.
or are you talking fuel or coolent?

4)cannot comment on the lapping. it depends on the condition of the surfaces. others on this forum would be better equiped to advise you on this.
yup. we definately need a sticky with links for this. too much searching to for small details.

peace

Last edited: