questions about e-fans and water temp senders

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
im not sure if this is in the right section or not but i have a few questions about the cooling system. first question is about wiring a new temperature gauge. the new gauge i got came with a sender and it says that i need to put it somewhere in the engine block to allow the sender to ground. do you guys put it in place of the stock sender and just have your stock gauge stay at cold or hijack the signal or what? my second question is about electric fans. i got 2 fans and a FAL fan controller but i was wondering at what temp. you guys set your fans to come on. i think my controller goes from 180*F to 240*F. sorry if this has been discussed a lot. if it has please just attach the link. thanks in advance.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
hopefully your fans will pull as much or more air as the stocker if not im waiting for your bhg thread peace.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I put my sending unit in the thermostat outlet where the VSV should be, but seeing as I took out the charcoal canister it is not needed anymore. As for your fans I would have them come on at 180. I have a new flex-a-lite electric fan setup that I have not installed yet (deployed) but will when I get home. It says it pulls 2500 cfm. Hopefully the Koyo aluminum radiator and the fans will be enough. If my temp starts to climb during the summer months then I am going back to the stock fan. We will see what happens.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I've been running FAL's for a couple of years now. I have a temperature gauge plumbed into the bottom of my Koyo and have the fans come on at 180*. I haven't had any issues.

Well, one issue. The inline fuse holder that comes with the FAL kit is garbage. Mine melted into a ball. I then went to a car audio store and got a good one for like 5 bucks.

My buddy's melted too. So save yourself a chance of overheating and get one right away! Like NOW! Take your hand off the mouse and go....NOW! :biglaugh: ;)

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
CajunKenny;1477417 said:
I've been running FAL's for a couple of years now. I have a temperature gauge plumbed into the bottom of my Koyo and have the fans come on at 180*. I haven't had any issues.

Well, one issue. The inline fuse holder that comes with the FAL kit is garbage. Mine melted into a ball. I then went to a car audio store and got a good one for like 5 bucks.

My buddy's melted too. So save yourself a chance of overheating and get one right away! Like NOW! Take your hand off the mouse and go....NOW! :biglaugh: ;)

wel li havent put my motor in yet so i have a little time before i have to worry about overheating. my rad has a bung which looks like i can put the sender in it but i wasnt sure if grounding would be an issue.

stock t-stat is 192* btw. i was just wondering when the stock fan kicks in/when you guys have your fans set to come on. thanks

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
The stock e-fans kick in to prevent catastrophic failure from occurring once in a blue moon. On = 230F IIRC.

The stock clutch/primary fan is mechanical and sort of irrelevant to know since it runs itself.

cajun: Plumbing for 180F in the bottom of the rad is probably quite a bit hotter than you realize if you were properly measuring temp.

Lastly: SPAL >* in aftermarket fans. (Guess who makes those taurus fans that were popular a while back)

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
mkIIIman089;1477503 said:
The stock e-fans kick in to prevent catastrophic failure from occurring once in a blue moon. On = 230F IIRC.

The stock clutch/primary fan is mechanical and sort of irrelevant to know since it runs itself.

cajun: Plumbing for 180F in the bottom of the rad is probably quite a bit hotter than you realize if you were properly measuring temp.

Lastly: SPAL >* in aftermarket fans. (Guess who makes those taurus fans that were popular a while back)

oh, im sorry, this is on a 7M GTE so i have no extra e-fans from the factory besides the ac fan. i was just wondering when the stock clutch fan kicked in. also,where would you recommend putting the temp gauge sender if the bottom of the rad is a bad idea? thanks

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
mkIIIman089;1477506 said:
If you know the thermostat is 88C why not just get a switch that is slightly above that?

i am confused i guess. i hav a FAL adjustable fan controller. im just wondering where to plumb my gauge so that i can adjust it to come on at the right temp. and i wanted to know what the "right temp" is. while operating temp is 88C, if you wait to have the fans come on at 88 is doesnt cool it down immediately, it takes a minute(i assume) therefore, it actually gets hotter than 88 and the fans need to be set to come on a little before that...

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
maybe my post was confusing. my gauge sender is different than the sender to my fan controller. i need to know where to put both senders. the direction with the fan controller say to put the probe through the rad fins close to the inlet pipe..i plan to use the gauge, look at the temp and then adjust the separate fan controller to come on when my gauge says its a particular temperature. or is there an easier way to do this?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
mkIIIman089;1477503 said:

I should've fully explained how I set mine up. Sorry...

I used an IR Thermometer to meter the temp right on the thermostat housing. When the thermostat opened, I let the temp rise ~10* then set my fans to come on at that point.

All this happens at ~180* according to my temp gauge that's plumbed in the bottom of my rad.

Having it set this way, my 'in car' temp gauge stays where it did with the stock setup.

ONE MORE THING: With the electric fan setup, you MUST watch your temps like a hawk. You should anyway; but, especially so with electric fans! ;)

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
dbsupra90;1477579 said:
csi = cold start injector

you can put the probe in the fins but i hate that. they damage the fins, and over time they vibrate and bounce which damages it more and sometimes the sensor just falls out.

id prefer a thread in sensor myself, but that's up to you.

something like this: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=109/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd111.htm

Well the sender for my gauge is thread in but the one that's connected to the fan controller is the push through type. I ordered the fan controller from suprasport and did not kno that it wasn't going to be thread in. Any (effective/safe) way to modify or change the one they have me into a thread in type? There is no quick disconnect or anything on the controller...it was the cheaper, like $40 one..any thoughts?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
7M-KDL;1477507 said:
and i wanted to know what the "right temp" is. while operating temp is 88C, if you wait to have the fans come on at 88 is doesnt cool it down immediately, it takes a minute(i assume) therefore, it actually gets hotter than 88 and the fans need to be set to come on a little before that...

Incorrect. btw...