Question to the wide-rims gurus

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Hi,

my father just bought himself a convertible z32 300zx (imported 2 years ago from texas, I don't think the Europeans got 2 seater versions at all).

As he likes the car a lot, he wants to put a Strosek widebody on it (ordered already:icon_bigg), so I now have to search for some wheels.
Strosek said the following :

We have mounted 17inch O.Z. Futura wheels with a special offset for STROSEK:

Front 9J x 17inch offset 24

Rear 10J x 17inch offset -31 (!!)

Though the wheels are long discontinued.

So now we must search for an alternative. Question is, what should we be looking for (3pc I guess) and where could we look for it? Any specific forums? Or can someone help me directly maybe :) I think there are people here who know this stuff. And as You are the best (if not the only) car-family I've got, I come to you :D
17" would be best, and as I say - the more lip the better :D (my father tends to not believe it, but whatever). I would probably prefer running without spacers.

We wouldn't prefer paying too much for a new wheel, so used ones would be good :)

Thanks for the help,

Jüri

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Whoo... that's a low offset. Hate to say it, but I've been putting my feelers out for my widebody setup for the Mk3, and not having much luck finding a set of wheels that will fit like I want in a style I like. -31mm is a HUGE offset... you might have no choice but to go custom. I know CCW can make you some nice looking wheels for a relatively reasonable price. Keep your eyes open and be ready to jump if you do find a good set of used wheels that will fill those fenders. Good luck!

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond

We have maybe found a car with the same widebody that we can take the wheels off :). Now that would be easy, cause for custom it probably wouldn't be less then 3k€

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Awesome, how did you get that lucky? Other guy parting out their car, or just need the money? Either way, congrats! Custom wheels from what I've been seeing seem to run anywhere from $2000usd (used) to $5000+usd (new). Not exactly something I'm looking forward to spending the money on haha...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Some wheels like sp1's you can flip the barrells around either going from a postive offset to a super negitive.

I agree with sssc. Zilvia has there own wheels forsale section

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
We may be getting a whole car from UK (RHD) and parting it. As we need the TT engine to swap into convertible + that car has almost all the parts we need to almost fully complete the car for forever :D Comes out cheaper than to buy everything separately and new.

Thanks for the forum link! :D

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Mmmm...wide wheels. There's a couple options; like hvyman said, there's a handful of three piece rims out there that the face can be flipped on. Basically, you disassemble the rim, take the face and turn it around, then clean and polish the ever loving crap out of the back side, which is now your front. Most BBS rims can be flipped. The other option is to have a custom lip made for a barrel/face combo or two piece rim that already has the correct backspacing; that's the distance from the hub mounting face to the REAR of the rim. Out here, that runs about $300 US a rim, but can cover having the entire thing rebarrelled if need be.

Sometimes, it's also difficult to figure out what tires to run; for my widebody project, I'm limited to 18 or 19 diameter in the back, because that's the only diameter that I can find 355 wide tires in. Goodyear used to make 355/30-17s for Vipers, but it's going out of production, so the tires aren't available anymore. Another thing to think about is how the disc is set inside the rim; with a negative offset, you want the face to slope towards the outside of the car for structural support, especially with a rim more than 10" wide. Positive offset rims generally sweep back inside towards the center for the same reason.

Your offsets aren't that bad, really...try my 18x14J ET -55 on for size. Or the 17x11 ET 0 fronts. At the widths you've got going on, it's a simple re-barrel operation...just have to find a fabricator nearby that will work with aluminum rims. That's really the hardest part.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is also ccw. Which will make a wheel in any size you want. There prices are very resonable for a quality custom wheel.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Sadly the parts-car dropped out.

Thanks you Bleakvoid very much! Your wheels are really too crazy :D
And also thanks for the CCW, we might be going that route! (a lot cheaper than getting new rims here overseas :))

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
So, we've been in contact with CCW for those months, Dan is very helpful! But now the problem arouse - he uses 17" centers with 18" wheels and my dad doesn't like what that makes to the lip, he likes a straight lip, not the "twin level" one...
Any other good companys that produce stuff like that that would make a straight lip 18" wheel? BBS style preferred.
Something like this? Should be custom...
badass_1990s_Nissan_300ZX_by_Partywave.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Is it feasible to use a 17" wheel? Tires are generally a bit cheaper and you have a bit wider of wide sizing options from what I've seen...

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Well... that has been a thought, though different dimensions of 17" tires are harder do find! At least that's what Dan said...
17" could work look-wise, but after giving it some thought my dad wants 18" rims and that straight lip.
(Me dad has an idea to polish the door-handles :nono: and sadly I can't do much about his thoughts...)

Btw Dan suggested a lot better size that we'd like to go :
18x9.5 +32 (2.5" lip)
18x11.5 -13 (5.5" lip)
265/35/18 and 315/30/18

LAYZORBEEMZ

JZX73 owner
Jun 28, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
ValgeKotkas;1773284 said:
Well... that has been a thought, though different dimensions of 17" tires are harder do find! At least that's what Dan said...
17" could work look-wise, but after giving it some thought my dad wants 18" rims and that straight lip.
(Me dad has an idea to polish the door-handles :nono: and sadly I can't do much about his thoughts...)

Btw Dan suggested a lot better size that we'd like to go :
18x9.5 +32 (2.5" lip)
18x11.5 -13 (5.5" lip)
265/35/18 and 315/30/18

I don't know if you know this but a 9-1/2 +32 should technically have like 4-1/8" of dish.. And a 11-1/2-13 should have 6" of dish.

Could be because of the design of the wheel your friend is talking about has less dish I guess.

Last edited:

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Not quite; you have to take into account the thickness of the face of the rim (offset is measured from the back, lip from the front) as well as the curvature of the face.

If it was a perfect world where every face was straight and the same thickness, you'd be right ;)

LAYZORBEEMZ

JZX73 owner
Jun 28, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Bleakvoid;1776632 said:
Not quite; you have to take into account the thickness of the face of the rim (offset is measured from the back, lip from the front) as well as the curvature of the face.

If it was a perfect world where every face was straight and the same thickness, you'd be right ;)
that's why I said it could be because of the design of the wheel... in that case, those wheels are fail IMO.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
^Supra rims don't fit 300zx as the brake caliper is veeery thick :) So those wheels are not "fail" :)

Poodles, CCW was nice and in the right price range. ~700$ a piece is ok, only that 17" wheels centre is where the rim fails in my dads eyes, he wants a 18" so the lip will stay straight and not have a diagonal "cone" (my dad calls it that :D).