Question to people here who can tune

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
How did you guys learn how to tune a standalone system? Alot of reading and doing it on your own car? Classes? I really want to get into this but dont really know where to start.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Math!

No I am not kidding. That and my backgroup in Information Technology helped. Though I have messed with lots of EMS and most you ahve to hodge podge a number to trick it to work (AEM and the 60-2 crank trigger using 24 teeth in the software). The only software that is not that way are most of the australian software (Haltech, MoTeC, Wolf, Autoronic etc).

As for classes, EFI101 offers beginner courses that are well suited to get into the tuning scene and some books help (forgot their names). Also being part of forums where there are experts is also helpful (AEM, MoTeC, Electromotive and car specific forums like bimmerforum, NMRA, etc).

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I've tuned two cars with K-Pro, not really sure if you would consider it a stand alone, but just learn how and what effects what... and understanding the motor is always a plus. but i just did it, there was a learning curve i like to say with each car, but my one friend is now on a stable 11.5:1 AFR, 10 degrees of timing all the way through, on 9psi with a car that has ~10:1 compression... and this is up to a rev limited of almost 8800RPM... i want to see his dyno numbers, but the butt dyno says that hes FAST!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
figgie;1185036 said:
stable 11.5?

That is awefully rich for idle ;)

Depends on the granularity of the standalone. I really hate how much change (75 microsecond) the AEM forces you to use. I've got a 12:1 idle on Jeff's car, 1275us pulse - the next step is a 1200us pulse, and makes the idle stumble lean ~15:1

Granted, I think his 750cc injectors are not flowing perfectly, either, and need a good cleaning/blueprinting ;)

I still have to get in there and mess with the injector settings, as well.

John

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Doward;1185039 said:
Depends on the granularity of the standalone. I really hate how much change (75 microsecond) the AEM forces you to use. I've got a 12:1 idle on Jeff's car, 1275us pulse - the next step is a 1200us pulse, and makes the idle stumble lean ~15:1

Granted, I think his 750cc injectors are not flowing perfectly, either, and need a good cleaning/blueprinting ;)

John

Reason I don't like the AEM among many others. I like low imp injectors and the way they work. I will take pintle bounce over loss of granuluar time control any day of the week.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
To protect the fragile reputation of the AEM :evil2: I pointed Doward to the instructions on how to change the microbit/sec settings of the AEM on the software. sorry for the off-topic :icon_bigg

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
turbogate;1185137 said:
To protect the fragile reputation of the AEM :evil2: I pointed Doward to the instructions on how to change the microbit/sec settings of the AEM on the software. sorry for the off-topic :icon_bigg

Point a way to allow the AEm to handle low res injectorsa and then we be talking! lol

btw one additional thing.

Not everyone, even after courses etc will be able to tune. It is just not easy regardless of what everyone says.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It is not 'easy' per se - but as long as you think logically, you can learn it, in my opinion.

And yes, I owe you a beer for that find about the AEM. I really hate their software - either give me EVERYTHING at once, or give me 'Tuning for Dummies' - I hate this in-between BS.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
turbogate;1185137 said:
to protect the fragile reputation of the aem :evil2: I pointed doward to the instructions on how to change the microbit/sec settings of the aem on the software. Sorry for the off-topic :icon_bigg

lol!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I faked it ;)

Been tuning Carb cars for decades and just had to learn how to make an ecu do what I wanted it to.

The latest MoTeC software makes it much easier for me as it's very freeform and not as ridgid as the older software.

The base tune is fairly easy if you have a WB02, where things get seriously complex is the day to day tune and the compensations to smooth it out and make it run like an OEM tune.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
As Doward said, those who can tune are putting to good use all of those classes most everyone sleep through. Chemisty, Physics, Math. You cannot stop here though. A good understanding of mechanics, electronics, and computers are a must.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Doward;1185039 said:

John

how do you have the map setup? Boost comp gives a LOT of resolution in low throttle/rpm. I can adjust my 85lbs injectors .1 afr at a time at idle on my 3s.

Just have to learn to work the software to get it to do want you want.

as for the OP, understanding how the engine works and how the variables (fuel, timing) effect the way it runs. When I first started I was going to be tunning a buddies turbo honda, so I read a lot on Honda-tech and evans-tuning forums and it gave me a good understanding of what I was doing then then learned from experience after that.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
-Make connections between what is going on in the software vs what is going on in the engine with a prior understanding of both.

-Take it easy and get first hand experience

-Ask experienced individuals questions about what you cannot grasp