question regarding oil sending unit

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
Do you have to keep the factory sending unit for the dummy light? does it affect the ECU? Im planning to run a aftermarket gauge and was going going to leave the factory sending unit off. Then i thought if the ECU does not see oil pressure it may not run? will this affect it?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Not sure which engine/ECU combo you're asking about, but I transplanted my 7M pressure sender to the oil filter relocation kit to use the stock gauge, for my 2J. No wiring or switch in place for the stock 2JZ dummy light or the other signal, and ECU/engine worked fine. On my car tho, the oil pressure gauge itself, is not working. Replacing with a digital gauge/sender in this next month or so.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
MightyAl;1914011 said:
Oil pressure sending unit only goes to the dash on the 7m.

Nope...

It's used a bit in the ECU, IIRC it will raise idle a bit to get pressure. It's somewhere in the reverse engineering thread going on.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Poodles;1914061 said:
Nope...

It's used a bit in the ECU, IIRC it will raise idle a bit to get pressure. It's somewhere in the reverse engineering thread going on.

I stand corrected. I guess I never looked at the 7m Ecu. Pin7 on the S plug to the Ecu goes to the oil pressure sending unit. Yellow-black wire.

I guess you can learn something new every day.

Last edited:

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
19cturbo;1914150 said:
Guess i should have pulled my head out of my ass and stated what i was asking about huh? lol. its a 1jz from a soarer. 4 row ecu..

I just looked at the pinout for the 1jz ecu and there is no input on it that relates to the oil pressure.

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
I had blundered through it as well several times, just wasnt sure if i was over looking it.. I hadnt seen it either. I just wanted to be sure before i unhook it and run into starting/running problems after i get then engine stalled..

thanks guys.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The oil pressure sending unit on the soarer 1jz is just a swich, for a dummy light. It will not work with the stock gauge.

You need to adapt your old 7m pressure sensor, on the 1j, to make the dash read correctly.
^Driftmotion sells a line for this^