question on specs of an average impact gun?

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
Does any one know how to calculate the horsepower on an impact gun/wrench? Or can anyone at least give me an average horesepower range of an impact gun? The manufacter only give the torque. Also the manufacter only give the free speed of the gun? What would the RPM speed of the impact gun be if lets say your removing a lug nut off a car. Could I asssume that the blows per minute is equivalent to RPM under load? I need this information for my senior project in college. thanks?

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
teamslow;1152777 said:
Does any one know how to calculate the horsepower on an impact gun/wrench? Or can anyone at least give me an average horesepower range of an impact gun? The manufacter only give the torque. Also the manufacter only give the free speed of the gun? What would the RPM speed of the impact gun be if lets say your removing a lug nut off a car. Could I asssume that the blows per minute is equivalent to RPM under load? I need this information for my senior project in college. thanks?

:squint:

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
teamslow;1152777 said:

blows per minute is NOT rpms. on half the impact wrenches out there you can grab the socket and keep it from turning while going full blast.

as i understand it, horsepower is a function of sustained torque times rpms. impact wrench doesn't sustain torque; you might as well ask about the horsepower of an air-hammer.

The torque is applied for a brief moment as the spinning weight impacts the shaft. The more inertial resistance there is, the more torque is applied because the energy of the spinning weight is transferred across a shorter distance.

what is your school project?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Off the top of my head:

Torque is work, which is force applied over a distance (because a force on its own is not work because no work is done). Thus, Power is the rate at which work is done, so Work per unit time. Horsepower is basically torque divided by engine speed in a super simplified math discussion.

That said, wouldn't a torque wrench have a peak torque number, but its horsepower would depend on the application it's in because torque is not applied constantly? I would imagine you would have to do some math including the blows per minute and peak torque to figure into a mean power number. The concept is to apply a whole lot of torque for a split second, every once and a while, rather than all at once. So, the horsepower will be the average torque over a period of time.

Kinda makes sense in my head... probably sounds like jibberish here, lol.

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
flight doc89;1153883 said:
blows per minute is NOT rpms. on half the impact wrenches out there you can grab the socket and keep it from turning while going full blast.

as i understand it, horsepower is a function of sustained torque times rpms. impact wrench doesn't sustain torque; you might as well ask about the horsepower of an air-hammer.

The torque is applied for a brief moment as the spinning weight impacts the shaft. The more inertial resistance there is, the more torque is applied because the energy of the spinning weight is transferred across a shorter distance.

what is your school project?

Yea . i want to know the torque applied for that brief moment before the lug nut comes off.

My project is a simultaneous lug nut remover. i need to know the torque or horsepower so i can figure out what gear ratio to use.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Are you talking about a gun that removes and can install all the nuts on one wheel at the same time? They use these in car factories, among others.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
you would need the power output of the air motor, not the gun itself. I would bet it doesnt make much torque or power at all. Its just flinging a hammer/weight around inside then it smashes it into a pin. Like said above you can stop them with your hand so no real power is being made. The motor sure is, but the gun as a whole is not. Im not sure how the air motor works but im sure it has very little torque and massive rpms, like a honda

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Isphius;1154897 said:
you would need the power output of the air motor, not the gun itself. I would bet it doesnt make much torque or power at all. Its just flinging a hammer/weight around inside then it smashes it into a pin. Like said above you can stop them with your hand so no real power is being made. The motor sure is, but the gun as a whole is not. Im not sure how the air motor works but im sure it has very little torque and massive rpms, like a honda

but it uses gearing to get the torque

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
WhtMa71;1154339 said:
I know the Nascar "Thunder Gun" we use on the racecar has enough torque to pull the studs through their heads and through the hub..and thats with the air turned down to 100psi..
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=11445

625ft/lbs and 10,000rpm

Aside from the case, thats not what any NASCAR team that's trying will be running. Their guns are significantly more powerful and faster. They also use racing studs though, which are damn near indestructible.

Sorry, not on topic. Back on topic though, seems like horsepower on something that produces all its power through hammer blows, not smooth power like say... a drill; seems extremely difficult.

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
Isphius;1154897 said:

i need the power output the gun would apply to the device i'm making. i'm using a planetary gear system to remove the lug nuts simultaneously. i'm designing it for a 5x114.4 lug nut pattern. so since the center gear has to distribute torque to the other 5 gears to remove the lug nuts, i need to know the hp output and rpm the gun applies to the center gear so i can decide what gear ratio to use and what material to pick for the gears.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
well, it doesnt work like that. the gear ratio really doesnt matter in a system like this, because you are either going to be accelerating the hammer quickly to low speeds many times over or slowly to high speeds, and hammering at a slower frequency. and netting the same ammount of work done. The motor is what you need to worry about. a motor with .0000001 hp or 20,000 and it will still get the lugs off with the hammer effect, it will just take a long time of spinning the hammer up to speed or not. What you need is to find the force required to remove a lug nut, and then go from there with your choice of motor. So what you need to be asking, or researching more like it, is how much force will it take to hammer a lug nut off, and how fast do you want it to go, and your answer will magically appear through math.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
mkIIIman089;1155291 said:
Aside from the case, thats not what any NASCAR team that's trying will be running. Their guns are significantly more powerful and faster. They also use racing studs though, which are damn near indestructible.

ORLY??? Too bad that IS what nascar uses. Every team in Grand-Am uses this gun as well.(I work for a grand-am team.)
And as for the studs...they're just thicker than the normal studs. Another team we work with has mustang with way bigger studs and nuts than our rx8 but their studs just longer stock style. ARP makes longer racing studs.

:Edit:Also http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070724120319AApMR3J

Last edited:

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
The link for the impact gun that was posted was for the "street legal" version of the thunder gun, which means that the power has been significantly reduced so that your average mechanic doesn't quickly destroy normal car lug nuts and studs. You would probably have to contact IR to special order a real, full power thunder gun.