Question on 89+ front end conversion!!

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
I did my conversion a couple of months ago.. I only got the fog lights (euro), the turn signals (clear from procarparts.com), and the grills.... oh, and obviously the 89-92 style bumper (from a GA70 it said in eBay). I got no "metal supports" or panels to attach it or anything.. I actually left it for the shop to paint it and put it all together. Well, the turn signals seem to be hanging in there magically, with maybe just 1 screw (the one on the far side).. and the grills are there with sillicone (argh!). Well, they're now falling off, almost. I want to fix it, but I don't see anywhere to put a screw or anything. How do these grills are held in there in the 89-92 models? And the turn signals, how? .. My right turn signal and grill are constantly going "inside" of the car, and I have to pull them out a bit so they don't look horrible. :-(

Any ideas?

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
the grils next to the turn signals just snap into place, and the blinkers ARE held in place by one screw... if i remember correctly. (are they 89+ blinkers?)

you said you have a 89+ bumper off of a ga70, right. don't know if it makes a difference, but the ga70 has a more narrow body than the usdm ma70. that could be the problem.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
The narrow and widebody cars had the same bumpers. The width was all in the fenders.

I'd order all the brackets and clips necessary and do it right this time.

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
The problem that you might be having is you are still using the stock pre 89 upper lip. The 89+ upper lip under support is different then the pre 89’s. Is has different mounting holes for the turn signals and grills, that could be why you have no place to screw the screws in.

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
Damnit. The "nose" or "upper lip" as you may call it, looks EXACTLY the same in pictures, so I didn't buy it as mine is good. :(

It doesn't matter if it's from a GA70 or MA70 as someone stated, bumpers are the same.

I solved the issue with two tie-racks (don't know if this is how you call them in english), so my right grill wont fall off. I used black ones so they're not noticeable at all. Oh well, maybe someday I'll get the nose piece... =)

supra_driven

Jun 3, 2005
dfw
I didn't want to struggle with the 89+ turn signals so i just put in the 87 turn signals and trimed the 89+ grills. I'll post a pic later so u can see what i mean.

supra_driven

Jun 3, 2005
dfw
p244032_1.jpg

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
Wow! That's the first one I see like that. Do you have a pic that shows the complete front?

Did you do it to avoid struggling, as you said, or do you also like that setup more than the norma 89 turns/grills... ?

supra_driven

Jun 3, 2005
dfw
I actually wanted the full conversion including the turn signals and grills and after realizing that i would have to struggle a bit to make it work, so i slapped on the old ones and it actually made the car look different. I'll take some pics during the daytime because i don't have any right now.

supra_driven

Jun 3, 2005
dfw
I really don't think it's that much of a difference as far as airflow. Actually, i think the intercooler is getting more airflow now that the new bumper is in there. The only thing that is really in the way is the license plate.