Question for those running a Super Monitor (N/A or Turbo, doesn't matter)...

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Does the SM display stay on all the time, even with the engine off and the key removed? I'm running down some electrical drain issues and noticed the display was up.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Lol. it's been so long since I've seen my gauges on, I don't even remember...
I think though, that the screen is off when no key.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I don't have one, but I would think it should go off. Does it go off when you open the door like the lights do? Did the car have the plugs for this or did you hard wire it into the car?

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
That's what I was thinking too. So I just went out and double-checked, key comes out while still in the Accessory position rather than having to push the button and rotate further before it can be removed. That explains a lot I suppose.

Thanks for the quick response Supraguy.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya it's supposed to turn off. And you will drain the battery if they key is not in the lock position. All 3 of the cars I've had the keys come out in what ever position.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Yeah, well, with everything else I need for this thing a new ignition is going to have to wait a little while. Just gotta make damn sure the frillin' switch is all the way off.

Then I'll check to see if any other such "drains" are slapping me upside the head...

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Actually I've got the whole dash-removal routine down pretty well, only 45 minutes or so the last time around. But yes, I'll still definitely take simple solutions when I can get them. Lord knows they are few and far between on Supra issues.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Toyota can reprint a new key for you no need to get a recut of a recut
Either from your vin or if they can't do that there is a 5 digit code on the passenger side lock

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
I'll go the new key route before anything else, need to get into the passenger door anyway to replace a couple of trim clips.