Question about getting A/C working

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Hey guys, i need a detailed explanation of the step by step process id need to go through in order to make sure that everything is in order for my ac to work. I have a 2j swap into an 88mkiii. I know next to nothing about the ac system, so id need to know what and where the pressure switches and relays (and whatever else there is) are located and how they should be hooked up.

The route i was going to take was, change the fittings from r12 to r134 and then have the system evacuated and go from there, but im not sure im ready to shell out over $100 for my ac to still not work and other things have to be fixed. Can i jump a pressure switch or something to kick the compressor on?

Please let me know of any info you have. Thanks in advance!

eman2289

Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Maybe i shouldve said it this way...

You just did a 2j swap into your mkiii with a wiring harness by dr tweak, what process (or steps) would you take to ensure that your ac will work correctly once it is evacuated and filled?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Did it work before the swap? Do You have all the componets, or is everything missing.

eman2289

Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
It worked before the swap, I have all the components. I know on some other cars you can jump out the pressure switch and the compressor will turn on, but I'm not sure of how to test that it will kick on without it being filled. From what I could figure, I jumped the dual pressure switch and unplugged the high pressure switch. The comp still didn't kick on. (Pull in)

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Piece of cake, you need the 2j compressor, 7m compressor head (the part that bolts to the compressor, and the lines bolt to) and 7m lines.

Then all you have to do is ground one of the wires to the 2j clutch, find the wire that went to the 7m compressor clutch (comes from between the battery and fuse panel), and run this wire, to the other wire on the 2j clutch. hmmm did that make sense?

eman2289

Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
I have the head bolted up onto the 2j compressor.

How can i rephrase what im looking to do? Bare with me please lol.

I have all of the components in the car from when it was stock. I also have the 7m head bolted to the 2j compressor. All stock lines are in place. The system is empty right now.

What i am trying to do is essentially make sure that once i bring it to get the system evacuated and filled, i will have working ac. So essentially, i am looking to run the system for a short time (just a test). I know it will have something to do with me bypassing pressure switches, but im not sure of what exactly i need to do.

Cliffs: Want to run the ac system while empty (no freon) to ensure that when i get it evacuated and filled, it will function correctly.

Or, I would like to just fill the system the cheap way with the cans that you buy from a parts store. What would be the correct way to do that?

Im sorry if im confusing, maybe someone else can word it better for me. Thanks so much for the help so far, and any more is much appreciated.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Oh ic
There are steps that need to be taken to have a properly charged and working system. There is no point in doing it out of order.

Bypassing something is not going to tell you if the system is going to work.

You could try to fill it, but it needs to be evacuated, again missing steps.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
are you basically wanting to test that your 2jz compressor works before you have the system filled? because besides that, you could have other problems that you won't know about until you get the system evacuated and refilled in my opinion.

but I am interested in learning more because my a/c hasn't worked in a while (it had worked post-swap), and i'm not sure where to start!

subscribed..

eman2289

Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Basically, what I am trying to do at this point is be as sure as possible that the $100 + that it will cost me to have it evacuated and filled will not go to waste.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The only difference in the electrical system, is the clutch wiring. Apply power to the connector going from the body harness to the clutch. If the clutch moves, your good to go.

eman2289

Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Not as far as i know, because all that does is bypass all the switches and relays in order to bring power to the compressor

danameisgee

Feb 3, 2007
new york city
off topic question i swaped the 7m compressor top on the 2j compressor. I bolted down the a/c line and when installing back the power steering braket it touches it .......... Do I have to grind the braket?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Is it hitting the bolts for the ac lines? I put bolts without washers, and that gave me just enough room.