Question about an eclipse...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
My supervisor just bought an eclipse, I cant think of the year but its gotta be 90s gs something(the better of the models).

He bought it in cali and drove it back to AZ. On the freeway he said it drove fine until he got up to 90mph then it lost power and check engine light came on. He pulled off the next exit let it cool a bit then drove again with no check engine or problems. Again he got up to 90 and same problem happened with the light and loss of power.

He happened to pull up to some guys with eclipses and asked about the problem. They looked under the hood and saw the engine oil dip stick was pushed out a bit and oil leaking out. One guy said it was common blow by issue and he just needs an oil catch can.

To me the catch can seems more like a band aid than an actual fix. He also didnt mention any oil in or around the air filter and no smoke anywhere so not sure about blowby....

It has a bigger turbo and some other stuff done to it Im not sure what though. Im thinking bhg letting exhaust gas push out the oil dipstick? I know it happened to my supra when it had bhg lol, the dipstick would also be pushed out after driving it. After the hg repair my dipstick stays in place...

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
If he is getting too much blow by then it is possible that the rings are shot on his motor.

Do a compression test first, and if it is good I would upgrade the PCV system with some bigger lines.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
p5150;967287 said:
If he is getting too much blow by then it is possible that the rings are shot on his motor.

Do a compression test first, and if it is good I would upgrade the PCV system with some bigger lines.

Thats what I suggested, compression test then go from there.

Could too much blow by push the oil dipstick out and oil out as well? Also cause loss of power at high speed and check engine light? I didnt know blow by could cause all that...?

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Too much blow-by will push out the dipstick. When the PCV system reaches capacity the dipstick is the easiest place for pressure to escape. If the compression numbers are good it may be that the stock PCV valve just can't handle the increased pressure that comes with wear. In that case, a catch can or other alternative will be in order. I'm not sure how the Mitsu's are set up. If they use an actual PCV valve then it may just need to be replaced.

Excessive blow-by can trigger a CEL by introducing more combustion gases to the intake charge than the ECU can handle. It will cause a slight lean condition and set off the knock sensor.