Quarter glass, remove for paint job?

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Am I being too anal demanding that my bodyshop remove them before painting the car? I mean, you have to remove the glass to get the trim off, right?...And you have to remove the trim to get a durable coat of paint with no tape line that could potentially peel sometime down the road, right?

Also, how the heck do you even get them off? Heat them until the tar-glue stuff releases? Or I vaguely remember someone recommending running a thin wire behind them to cut through the adhesive, but I can't see how you'd even get it behind the trim.

Gar-cias'

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You have to remove the back interior. There are two bolts that are attatched to the window that fit through a hole in your car's metal and then two nuts hold it on. Once you remove the two nuts, it's still a pain in the ass to remove. I've seen guys break them into millions of pieces because the glue wouldn't let go. You won't get them out without removing the two nuts at the bottom of the window though.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Definitely do it, I am now fixing the the lines from the prev owners paint job. It will peel and will look like $hit down the road. At the very least use trim tape to pull up the edges and have them shoot under it as best they can

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
By the trim tape I think he means to put the tape on the trim pieces, it is very strong sticky stuff, then attach it to the window this will pull the trim up some, you have to pull it pretty tight to pull the trim back. But for all intensive purposes all you should have to do is just take the trim off. There is really no need to take the windows out. you will get a good cover inside of the window area and no peel from and ended spay unlike a tape line. But be warned, you will probably break some of the clips that hold the trim in when you take them out, and that is one reason a shop would not want to take them out unless they are replacing the trim. So make sure you will be able to get hold of some more clips if you break some.

But as for the shop they should not have a problem doing what ever you want done, but if they quoted you a price and now you want to add taking the windows out then they will not want to do that because they are stuck into the price. Now if you tell them you want them to remove the windows lets say just to reseal them on the safe side and tell them that you will pay them for the additional work they normally have no problem. This happens all too much in automotive in general so when there is an estimate given we stick to our guns about not changing things unless the customer agrees to the work. The problem is shops charge $70-$300 an hour, so in my shops case we charge $100 if people want me to do something extra that is gonna take more time we have to charge accordingly. So anyways theres my $0.02.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
^ got it

the clips arent so much of a problem but the trim that wraps the bottom of the quarter windows. I would strongly suggest taking the windows out. you should remove the rear interior to take of the side trim, b pillars, taillights ect. If your painting your whole car do it right trust me. Paint is the most important thing for your car cosmetically.

Im now going back and fixing all the exact issues we are talking about and throwing a new clear on the whole thing (only needed a buff but why not). This is only a refresh for me intended to make the car look good for a few until I can afford to shoot the car all over again and Im still going through all the trouble. If I was getting new paint I would even disassemble all of the body panels (bumpers, hood doors fenders, hatch) and have the jams, edges, ect. shot then reassemble for the final coats. I would even pull the engine and trans but Im a fatal perfectionist which is something that is hard to cope with on a 20+ year old car lol.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Interior is the most work, I removed mine when I painted and my vote, if you want a really nice paint job is to go through the PITA or getting it out.
glass is easy, interior, be careful not to break anything.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I started at the top front pushing from the inside rocking a bit. Once it starts to release pull on the same place on the outside with constant pressure. The glue will gradually release, just go slow and take your time. Getting the rest off the car and window after is a chore as well. I scraped what I could off with a plastic putty knife first and then goo-gone and a brillo pad got off the rest on the car.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Cool, they said they got them out. Yeah someone caught the corner of my car in a parking lot, hit and run, :icon_mad: so my insurance company was paying to take the back of the car apart anyways, I figured -Lets do the whole thing while we're at it! :naughty: