Q Horsepower

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
I know you guys have seen the commercials, ferrari is backing the product. Has anybody tried it yet or does anybody know if this stuff is really a better oil? Expensive?

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
I wanted to buy it but i thought to myself... full synthetic for the price of semi, AHHH! its crap. But now the whole Ferrari thing is making me think twice.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
No tech data at all I can find. I do know Quaker State (Q Power) is owned by Shell...as is Pennzoil. Shell produces some of the finest motor oils available...Shell Helix, Rotella, Pennzoil Platinum. Shell Helix has been spec'ed by Ferrari for many years and is the factory fill...from what I can see, it looks like Q Horsepower is one of the Ferrari "approved" oils.

Keep in mind what's a good oil for a racing engine (or race built like Ferrari) may not be good for your motor. In fact, a lot of the race oriented oils (like Royal Purple) do not contain the level of additives you want...oil in race motors are changed after every race and don't require them.

Having said that, if Shell is applying the same technology they employ with Helix and Pennzoil Platinum, the Q Power oils could be quite good. I'm going to wait for data sheets at minimum before I even consider using it though.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ric said:
What ever happened to factory Toyota oil? Thats all I use.

If you're looking for more power? turn the boost up

Well Ric...that's because you pay a premium for a mediocre oil. Same thing for a Toyota filter.
There's a heck of a lot better oils/filters out there that what Toyota uses and may times at a cheaper price too...you might want to do a little reading in this section ;)

And who said anything about increasing HP?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Doward said:
Pennzoil Platinum is a good oil? I thought it was a GrpIII base?

It's an outstanding oil ;)

It is a Grp III base stock, but they have enhanced the refinement process...to the point where there is little difference between it an a Grp IV/V base oil. Plus the add pack is superb...Penzoil Platinum is producing some of the best wear analysis I've seen. You won't go wrong with this oil.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gixxer750 said:
I know if quaker state q sits in a back room for say... six months... solids settle to the bottom. I have whitnessed this first hand.

Never been overly impressed with Quaker State myself ;)
Now that Shell owns Quaker State maybe they will work on improving this oil as well.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mkIIIman089 said:
The Shell engineer at the PRI show, when asked about running their Q Racing oil in a street car said nothing about it not having enough additives of any kind. He said what it would do though, is create a lot more deposits (extra spike of EP type additives) in the exhaust that could wreak havoc on things like 02 sensors.

Of course he's not...he wants to sell you oil ;)
The additives are different for racing oil...it has a different purpose and engine longevity is not one of them. He proved this point with his statement about the O2 sensor...the add pack in a street oil is formulated to keep any deposit to a minimum. A race motor does not have that problem due to min time between re-builds.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mkIIIman089 said:
I should have prefaced that with "although he didn't recommend it". ;)

Now... the Amsoil guys, they would tell you, you could use any of their product in anything and would GAIN horsepower. ;) I have personally experienced what I believe to be oil related deposits from running a Series 2000 oil.

OK, back on topic now.

Heehee...I wouldn't recommend it either ;)
This distinction can cause a guy with a high HP street machine problems...he sees the term "race' and thinks it's better for his motor. In the case of oil, this is definitely not true.

Any HP gain you would get from running a certain oil is minimal. I'm not convinced even after seeing dyno data...the small differences it shows could just as easily be from OAT on different days. A good Grp IV/V oil may help a bit, but that's not the reason you want to run that oil ;)

Amsoil Series 2000 is one of their best oils...is it possible the oil just cleaned out gunk from inside the motor?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mkIIIman089 said:
It's possible... but I have my doubts since it was certainly not the first oil I had run with high levels of detergents. It was not as much "gunk" as it was a caked powdery substance that was building up anything that wasn't smooth. (Might have been something in the fuel I suppose too, but thats a fairly slim chance)

This is a strange experience posting in this section...

Hmmm...that's the 1st time I've heard anything like that about Amsoil. It's one of the best oils available, don't like the way it's marketed though. Multi-level marketing leaves a bad taste for me.

LOL...I edit the posts like this to keep the thread size down. That way folks can get to the info fast and not have to scroll through a lot of pages. Helps keep the "chatter" down too ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
AGlobalThreat said:
I'm starting to lean toward using redline 5w30 synthetic. I currently have 5w30 oil from oil stop in the engine (I've been told they use some kind of oil from chevron?). The 5w30 works great, cold starts are no problem, I have no leaks, and so far so good for boosting on hot days.

Now after reading the threads in this section, I'm led to believe that if I pay the price for redline I go 8,000 miles before changing the oil, change the filter at 4,000 miles, and basically it will make the engine last forever, granted I don't push it over the limit. That sounds great to me, I don't mind paying more for what it does to the seals and internals, especially if I change the oil at almost 3x what I've been doing (3,000 or so miles).

Also, what filter should I use for my 1jz? I've heard the v8 tacoma one is a nice tall one that fits.

I would still like info on Q horsepower though, especially if it's only $3 a quart! :)

Red Line 5W-30 is an excellent choice. I don't know what filter the 1J uses for sure, but if it's the same diameter/thread as the 7M, Wix and PureOne make a longer filter that will fit and almost doubles filter capacity...Wix 51342 and PL10241. You cannot use either of these on a stock 7M filter head, they are too long.

In any case, use a Wix or PureOne filter on your 1J. If you have not added an oil cooler to your motor, I highly recommend that you do ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
foreverpsycotic said:
the 1j, 2j and 7m all use the same filters :) just as a FYI

So does the 22R ;)

The problem is when you go to a longer filter (for a bit more capacity) like I was talking about above...there's not enough room using the stock filter head/location. You have to have a remote filter mount.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
From a few posts above, the packaged quart of oil with a Toyota label on it was Havoline. As late as 2000 or so. Right before the second consolidation of filters.