PVC Accordian Hose?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Well my accordian hose is starting to crack and was wondering how effective it would be to make a replacement out of pvc pipe ala home depot ic pipes? i plan on upgrading my turbo in the near future to an sp61gt and already have the lex afm so its kinda pointless i figure to keep that restriction in there. Input, suggestions etc etc lets hear it!

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
how big of a restriction could it be? its just as large as the turbo inlet, people fit lex AFMs in there which have been proven to flow AT LEAST 450 horsepower.

IMO its more trouble than its worth, unless you have the SP turbo already and are gonna have a custom solution welded up for you.

dont waste your time with PVC pipe from home depot.

SoupedUpSupra

The guy.
Mar 31, 2005
Sonoma County, Norcal
get one of these badboys:
accordian.jpg
:D

Apr 1, 2005
WA
ive got one. pcv that is. just not as pretty as the polished AL ones.

heres a bad pic of it. only one i could find at the moment.

Attachments

• 519262_46_full.jpg
    519262_46_full.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 85
Apr 1, 2005
WA
lagged said:
how big of a restriction could it be? its just as large as the turbo inlet, people fit lex AFMs in there which have been proven to flow AT LEAST 450 horsepower.

IMO its more trouble than its worth, unless you have the SP turbo already and are gonna have a custom solution welded up for you.

dont waste your time with PVC pipe from home depot.

i dont think most people do this for more flow. they do it to replace a bad accordian hose without having to spend a ton at the stealership.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
Goop it up with RTV sealant, it works great since the air is only sucking in there. New unit is like only 40 bucks anyway, from your local Toyota dealer (ask for a 89+ unit). Probably cheaper than figuring out why your piston rings blew out, and why there is all that dirt in your intake if it is really cracked.

SoupedUpSupra

The guy.
Mar 31, 2005
Sonoma County, Norcal
Shawndude said:
Goop it up with RTV sealant, it works great since the air is only sucking in there. New unit is like only 40 bucks anyway, from your local Toyota dealer (ask for a 89+ unit). Probably cheaper than figuring out why your piston rings blew out, and why there is all that dirt in your intake if it is really cracked.

This has got to be the worst advice I have ever heard! If that RTV decides to come off, or the accordian cracks more, guess where it is going? In to your 100,000 RPM turbo. This is good advice if you want to pull your compressor wheel out of your intercooler.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
was more of an idea about how to not get raped at the dealer than anything. $40 for a hose? if it was that much id start buying grosses of them.. unfortunately they are more like 80 or so last time i checked for my bros car (yes i did ask for the 89+) {shrug} just an idea. im guessing just use silicone couplers to attach it. trying to save for that turbo more.