Purchasing advice for a 1991 N/A

nicholaslimck

Feb 24, 2017
Troy
I've been looking to purchase a MK3 Supra and recently found a '91 N/A with 112k miles. It looks alright overall but seems to have a blown head gasket; the radiator antifreeze bubbles and the engine overheats, according to the current owner. Is it worth buying for $3000? From my own research the labour costs of replacing the 7M-GE's head gasket go from 1-2k, which makes an engine swap more cost-effective.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
If the body is straight, clean, and rust in minimal 3K MIGHT be fair. If you can argue that the car is in need of major repair assuming it is a BHG you may be able to talk the owner a little lower.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Yes 3k sounds good but if you wanted to talk him down then bring up the common problems on these cars, repairs you will have to do and check for yourself to verify if:

- low speed works on climate controller (if not its not a big deal and it is $33 for a new blower resistor)
- head gasket job (1k to 2k for that to be repaired) or you can fix it your-self for a few hundred in parts and its not to bad of a job once you get it started especially for a non turbo with plenty of room to work with.
- rear rust in the quarter panels.
- check power antenna
- check if a/c functions
- check all power functions such as seats, mirrors, radio, windows, locks
- check all 4 key cylinders and locks to make sure keys are matching
- check for cracked door handles

That is all I can think of right now. Let us know how it goes.

Yotarip

Feb 20, 2015
Virginia
Three grand is too much for a 7m supra with a bhg UNLESS the body is great with good paint and the interior is complete and in good condition. Even then I wouldn't pay more than 2000-2500. No telling how long the po drove the car in the bhg condition. You could do the repair and then get rod knock soon after which happens often. Negotiate with the intent on REPLACING the motor and price it accordingly.

nicholaslimck

Feb 24, 2017
Troy
Thanks for the replies, it seems the previous owner didn't know about the bhg for a while; the engine had been overheating and he thought it was just his radiator until he swapped it out. I might pass on this one and see what pops up next. Maybe a nice turbo will show up...

1933beer

Jul 24, 2016
Iowa, southwest
I purchased my na for 700. 300 later it runs. Body is rust free has good interior. If clean I would offer 2k at best then do engine swap. The bearings will go out unless you change them.