Pulling tranny - can't find all the #*%!

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
Ok, pulling my motor and tranny. Finally. Anyway, I've gotten the clutch slave and a small ground that was bolted on with it, and I've gotten the rear tranny mount/brace and a small ground attached to it, gotten the shifter out, but I can't find:

ABS Rear Speed Sensor
Speedometer Cable
Drain Plug
Fill Plug

Anyone have photos/explicit directions?

I think that is all that is hanging on to the tranny, is there anything else?

Back to the garage, I'll keep looking.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
ABS Rear speed sensor- not sure
Speedo cable - Lower pass side, has big round aluminum "pop top" nut on it, with protected heat shrink cable over it
Drain plug - very bottom of the tranny. 19 mm or bigger IIRC
Fill Plug - Not sure. Use empy shifter valley

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
Thanks, managed to find the speedo cable and drain plug, and really I don't need the fill now anyway. I realized I don't need the ABS disconnected since I'm pulling motor and tranny together. Thank you for your speedy replies though!

Also, the drain plug appears to me to be a 23mm (bigger than 7/8 inch, smaller than 15/16 inch), does anyone else know how big it is?

And, when I removed the tranny brace and began lowering the jack, the engine tilted back into the firewall. Quickly jacked it back up: my dad says we should bolt the brace to the frame but not the tranny, and pull it like that. I say maybe put a block or something behind the head and against the firewall, but he doesn't think it'll hold up. Has anyone faced this/tried either method?

Thanks again :)

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
Thanks for the help in the other thread guys, but here is a new one: Ready to pull the engine and transmission together, and the only setting where our hoist will reach is 1,000 lbs. My question is, has anyone else pulled the entire drivetrain with only 1/2 ton of lift? 1 ton simply won't reach, and of course 1 1/2 and 2 tons are just out of the question entirely.

Not sure whether engine and tranny together weigh more than 1,000 lbs. or not.

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
no way- big block chevys weigh in at about 680lbs fully dressed, cast iron heads and all that. for the 7m and r154, you're probably looking at 550 lbs maybe 600 tops.

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Jack up the front of the car pretty high, and put a jack or 4-wheel dolly under the back end of the tranny to support and roll it under the car as the engine goes in. I usually put a piece of 2X4 between the EGR plate and the firewall to prevent damage. I once did exactly what you did and cracked the EGR plate on the back of the head without realizing it until I filled the engine with water. :mad:

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
chriso said:
Jack up the front of the car pretty high, and put a jack or 4-wheel dolly under the back end of the tranny to support and roll it under the car as the engine goes in. I usually put a piece of 2X4 between the EGR plate and the firewall to prevent damage. I once did exactly what you did and cracked the EGR plate on the back of the head without realizing it until I filled the engine with water. :mad:

Thanks for the tip, I'll look out for that.

Also, the engine is actually out now, so that's cool. First car I've worked on besides changing the oil, so it took me for freaking ever, but there hangs the drivetrain in all it's greasy glory. Can't wait to start dumping in the $$ :naughty:

Tomorrow: separate the tranny and engine, get engine on stand, disassemble to heart's content :icon_bigg :