Pulled over in the Supra today. Should I fight it?

Sideways_bob

Banned
Jul 8, 2009
KY
Short Version ; i was pulled over for 70 in a 55mph zone

Whole story ; I was driving down a 3 lane road. I was in the right hand lane with cars surrounding me. About 1/4 mile from where i was at, the road becomes a two lane road, forcing traffic to merge.

As i was driving in the right hand lane and sped up to exactly 60 on the speedometer. as soon as i had my turn signal on to merge i see the red and blue.

When i notice the lights i pull over asap. show him registration insurance and license. note the whole time im very cooperative, saying yes and no sir.

he comes back to my window with a FUCKING COURT DATE? I stay cool but he says insurance is 1 week out of date, and i was going 70 in a 55.

I know for a FACT I wasnt going 70mph.

Ive never been to court or had a ticket. so should i fight it? What are my options? i dont really have the money for a lawyer. But i would like to stand up for myself and use my rights.

Lesson learned... Fuck the police

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Well I will tell you that laser and radar are much much MUCH more accurate then a Speedometer in a car thats over a decade old. You can fight it you may win or you may lose and then pay the ticket and court costs. You cannot know you were doing exactly 60, I drive a 1990 Turbo Supra and I am also a police officer and I know that speedo can be way off and all the supra's I've messed with seem to be off differently, IDK why I've seen between 4 and 10 mph deviation in the speedo depending on mods, tires sizes, and a few stock ones with stock tire sizes were way off so its a shotting match on that issue.

I pay all my fines for the simple reason that I hate court (both prosecuting and defneding lol it sucks no matter who you are) and I figure I've gotten away with so much that I can make do paying a fine now and then.

Good Luck to you with whichever route you go.

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
Go to court , State your case , Be curtious ...Like the officer above said , You may win , You may lose .
You wont need a lawyer though for a simple traffic ticket .
Good luck

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Around here, step one is appeal to a clerk magistrate, then you can appeal his decision to the judge. When your with the clerk, your excuses usually fall on deaf ears. they usually want to hear you acknowledge you did something wrong, understand why its wrong, and learned your lesson, then their decision is strongly influenced by A your age and B your driving record. The representative from the PD also has an influence. Based on my experiences, ive had more than a few, accusing the police of any wrong doing or error does not work in your favor in front of the magistrate. In front of the judge is a whole different story, then its more about the facts, and proving that more likely than not there was an error in the police judgement.
Best of luck

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i too got a ticket yesterday, 83 in a 75. i was passed by a truck as i passed the cop, i was not looking at the speedo, but i prolly was speeding a little... bastard pulled me over and let the truck go..

i probably didnt help my case when he asked that stupid question "know why i pulled you over?", emien on the radio blaring i answered .." cause im driving the red sportscar?"
to which he said "no.. you were doing 83 in a 75". my answer to that as i handed him my info was " cause i am driving a red sports car".... he just walked back to the car and wrote the ticket, came back and instructed me to pay it by the 27th.

went right over to the courthouse and paid the 23$ .....

always wanted to be a cop... till i realized how much i hate them!

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
fixitman04;1368970 said:
i too got a ticket yesterday, 83 in a 75. i was passed by a truck as i passed the cop, i was not looking at the speedo, but i prolly was speeding a little... bastard pulled me over and let the truck go..

i probably didnt help my case when he asked that stupid question "know why i pulled you over?", emien on the radio blaring i answered .." cause im driving the red sportscar?"
to which he said "no.. you were doing 83 in a 75". my answer to that as i handed him my info was " cause i am driving a red sports car".... he just walked back to the car and wrote the ticket, came back and instructed me to pay it by the 27th.

went right over to the courthouse and paid the 23$ .....

always wanted to be a cop... till i realized how much i hate them!

Ive almost did the same thing as you a few days ago. I got pulled over, I was pretty mad for getting pulled over. As the cop came to my window I was about to give him the FUCK YOU attitude. Then i thought for a moment, If I act like a dick im sure to be given a ticket.

So I decided to be nice, and sure enought the cop let me go. I learned my lesson. ;)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Most supra speedo's say you ate going faster than you really are from my experience as well as majority on this site!

The "I hate cops" is just stupid...if you did something wrong, don't hate a hard working person for doing their job! Cops make me very uncomfortable but it's 90% of my fault as I'm not generally the most stand up citizen and I have a big mouth! I cause my own problems so I can't hate a cop cause I'm a moron!

Just go to court and tell your side and hope it works out....generally you can knock off points and or rid the fine completely.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
redmaro;1368980 said:
Ive almost did the same thing as you a few days ago. I got pulled over, I was pretty mad for getting pulled over. As the cop came to my window I was about to give him the FUCK YOU attitude. Then i thought for a moment, If I act like a dick im sure to be given a ticket.

So I decided to be nice, and sure enought the cop let me go. I learned my lesson. ;)

the other guy was doing at least 10 mph more than me, i figure i gotta pay the fun tax eventually and it was a no points violation.

if he was going to let me off he wouldent have pulled me, 8mhp over vrses a 18mph commercial driver ticket. the guy was obviously a sports car hater!

Sideways_bob

Banned
Jul 8, 2009
KY
gaboonviper85;1368996 said:
Driving is not a right, it's a privilage

Okay. I pay my taxes. I understand this. No need to state this, really.

However since when was being falsely charged with a crime necessary?

I believe the officer falsely charged me with a crime, I would like to exercise my rights, wouldn't you?

gaboonviper85;1368996 said:
....you listen to those videos the judge will laugh at you and you'll lose for sure!

He has a point, I was simply asking... Nevermind boss you don't get it. lol i tried

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Sideways_bob;1369023 said:
Okay. I pay my taxes. I understand this. No need to state this, really.

However since when was being falsely charged with a crime necessary?

I believe the officer falsely charged me with a crime, I would like to exercise my rights, wouldn't you?

He has a point, I was simply asking... Nevermind boss you don't get it. lol i tried

Look mr attitude plus, I was refering to the video....the video basicly states if you didn't hurt anybody then it wasn't illegal and which in turn makes the ticket pointless....well no that isn't true...cops pull speeders over to stop them from speeding to help PREVENT injury/death!...the guy's argument in the video was retarded and I assure you that even bad lawyers wouldn't use this approach as they know it's fail!

I wasn't trying to insult you or offend you at all....I personally don't care about you, your lisence, or your pet dog but I felt I'd try to give you some advice as this is what you do on a forum....my bad, I now know NOT to give you advice or share my opinion with you as it will be thrown in my face as I'm being an ass!

Good day to you sir and hope it goes however it goes!

Sideways_bob

Banned
Jul 8, 2009
KY
gaboonviper85;1369040 said:
I was refering to the video....the video basicly states if you didn't hurt anybody then it wasn't illegal

Actually it's to impeach the witness, therefor disclosing the case.
Similar to the officer not appearing. No witness, no case.

I was simply asking if it would be a good or bad idea. I got your input, I don't agree with it but I appreciate it.

boss

7mgtorC

Formerly SupraMann
Mar 5, 2008
California
gaboonviper85;1369040 said:
Look mr attitude plus, I was refering to the video....the video basicly states if you didn't hurt anybody then it wasn't illegal and which in turn makes the ticket pointless....well no that isn't true...cops pull speeders over to stop them from speeding to help PREVENT injury/death!...the guy's argument in the video was retarded and I assure you that even bad lawyers wouldn't use this approach as they know it's fail!

I wasn't trying to insult you or offend you at all....I personally don't care about you, your lisence, or your pet dog but I felt I'd try to give you some advice as this is what you do on a forum....my bad, I now know NOT to give you advice or share my opinion with you as it will be thrown in my face as I'm being an ass!

Good day to you sir and hope it goes however it goes!

Stop being so dramatic and self righteous. Yeah anyway, so just know this... more than the usual time consuming will be used in court if your planning on fighting this. Ive received 3 tickets and in total have paid $30 dollars for all three(court processing fees). Play with the system, and figure out your odds. First of all, even if you do lose. Declare yourself not guilty. Boom. As soon as you do that you just raised your odds of winning, he might not show up at all. Happened to me 2/3 times. Good enough odds for me. Dont listen to people that say just pay it. It wont hurt to try. Play with your court date(your allowed to re-schedule) and try to set something up like night court. Do what can so that the cop wont show up to court... and be prepared. This should help and inspire you somewhat. Check the cases won and do the free evaluation.

www.866speeding.com

Good Luck!

88guy

use to go 280KMH :(
Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
Should have run :p hehehe.

Just kidding your putting peoples lives at risk and i dont want to see a supra totalled on one of those police chase video...things......yeah

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
Simple.. if you dont want to get pulled over, dont do something to get pulled over.. Here in Oregon, when your lane ends, you're suppose to YIELD and merge into the left lane.. If you did what you did in Oregon, you would have gotten pulled over.. I have gotten 1 speeding ticket, and it was damn deserved.. I was doing 63 in a 55 on a country road with a lot of driveways and side streets.. I sucked it up, paid it and learned my lesson.. Simple as that.