Pulled my gas tank today....YUCK!

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
So my car came to me after sitting for 5 years with a full tank of gas. I puled the tank from the car today and and emptied it. Alot of rust came out with the last of the old gas. Is there a good way to clean this thing? I probably will have to change fuel pumps I suppose too.

I also discovered the metal where the spare tire has some rust holes in it all the way through. Fortunetly I am taking an auto body class and am actually in the middle of learning how to repait rusted out metal panels.

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
Just got done doing the same exact thing. From what I understand, there is no safe way to clean the tank yourself.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
ronnie4;934367 said:
Just got done doing the same exact thing. From what I understand, there is no safe way to clean the tank yourself.

Well, you could go somewhere where it is -40 F out and clean it, but with what?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
dunno, fill it with water, nuts and bolts and shake it around a lot (worked for my coolant reservoir :))

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Clip;934448 said:
dunno, fill it with water, nuts and bolts and shake it around a lot (worked for my coolant reservoir :))

Actually not a bad idea...shake several times till clean. Then rinse out a couple times with ethanol (not methanol) which is hygroscopic and should remove any residual water. Denatured alcohol (ethanol w/ methanol add) will work too.

IJ.;934457 said:
Take it somewhere that does galvanising and have them clean it then re-gal it and you're good for another 20 years.

That works too!

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Wow Clip thanks I will try that metal sealer and see what happens. I called this place in town that repairs tanks but they are backed up for months. I dont feel like waiting that long!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i've had a few power wagon parts catalogs and POR's ad looks like it works miracles. Doesn't seem too in-depth, just a nice epoxy coating. i'm thinking of doing my truck's undercarriage in their regular paint.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Actually in this auto body class I am taking the instructor showed us this paint gun with this long flexalble wand used for reach places normally unaccessable and it will spray 360 degrees. Iwas not planning on getting one of those spray guns but I guess I will have to now.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
dont think you can spray this unless you thin it, and im not sure itll work right if you thin it. its designed to work with the gas tank dropped so you can rotate it. the instructions on the site say to rotate every two hours to a different side to let the surface prepper clean the gum off of it, then pour the sealant in and let it sit on each side for 30 mins.