pulled dash out today.

dgj2812

Apr 6, 2007
myrtle beach sc
www.myspace.com
got a quick question? i pulled my dash today to change a leaking heater core and when i pulled the radio out i noticed a wire that looks like a small antena wire it wasnt connected. and was wondering what it is supposed to be connected to? its a small gray wire with an antena plug.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2003
Canada
dgj2812;1229850 said:
got a quick question? i pulled my dash today to change a leaking heater core and when i pulled the radio out i noticed a wire that looks like a small antena wire it wasnt connected. and was wondering what it is supposed to be connected to?

Seems to be the antenna that is supposed to be plugged in the back of the radio.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
IIRC, our cars have 2 antennas plugged into the factory HU -- FM, and a smaller AM one. Aftermarket decks just have the provision for the FM antenna, so the AM cable just stays unplugged. If the antenna is staying half-way up, then the power wire (in the harness) isn't connected, or the motor is burnt out, or the antenna itself is bent enough to jam the shaft half-way...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i think it's the rear glass antenna/smaller GM jack for the AM. mine's a gray colored wire whereas the normal one has a black sheath.

dgj2812

Apr 6, 2007
myrtle beach sc
www.myspace.com
another question. there seems to be two harnesses for the stock system. one goes to the right under pass. side carpet. the other goes to driver side up under the steering column.so the question is which side controls the antenna and which color wires are they. ive looked at several install manuals and the tewd. but it just says to connect two blue wires together on the same harness.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
antenna wire should be a lead coming from your radio harness, look for a solid blue wire. there will also be a blue wire with white stripe for a remote turn on function (amp/sub). these are the basic colors for any aftermarket radio harness, and when i wired my panasonic up i remembered it being fairly easy to connect to the power antenna on the existing harness

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Clip;1229887 said:
i think it's the rear glass antenna/smaller GM jack for the AM. mine's a gray colored wire whereas the normal one has a black sheath.

how well would the am antenna work for an fm antenna. ive seen adapters for the the smaller am plugs. it would be nice to shave the stock antenna and use am antenna so i could still pick up radio stations

dgj2812

Apr 6, 2007
myrtle beach sc
www.myspace.com
well i bought a antenna adapter. and connected both antenna plugs to the radio and the reception is better. but still couldnt get the power antenna to work. (my car has an amp under the pass. seat does this harness have anything to do with the antenna)? oh yeah my new heater core is working great. its nice to have a car with heat.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Both those antennas are FM. The factory radio has a diversity system, it selects the antenna with the best reception at any given time. If you live in the city, the window antenna is often good enough.

The under-seat amp wiring connects to the chassis harness at the HU, then goes to the amp under the seat. Another harness comes back from the amp to the radio. You can intercept the power ant feed at either end of the harness, depending on whether you want to use the amp or not.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
3p141592654;1235041 said:
Both those antennas are FM. The factory radio has a diversity system, it selects the antenna with the best reception at any given time. If you live in the city, the window antenna is often good enough.

The under-seat amp wiring connects to the chassis harness at the HU, then goes to the amp under the seat. Another harness comes back from the amp to the radio. You can intercept the power ant feed at either end of the harness, depending on whether you want to use the amp or not.

thanks for the clarification on the antennas, pi. when i had to replace my power antenna (motor burned out) i had to install a new antenna that had a power/ground and just tapped them into the antenna harness in the trunk. just played with the voltmeter til i figured out which ones gave me the power i needed.