Puff's of blue while cruising off boost

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
Hey guys went for a cruise yesterday with some friend up the coast and those at the back noticed puff's of blue smoke while i was cruising was not on boost. The car runs fine although on the way to the destination i had a slight stumble or miss in the higher RPM but this cleared up and went away on the way back home. What could be causing this. My PCV System currently is routed as following 1. Two Open Breather Filters on the Valve Covers. 2. Throttle Body Port Blocked of. 3. Port on Turbo Inlet Pipe Blocked Off. Am i doing something wrong please give comments. Just for the Record i do have a HKS metal HeadGasket and No overheating Issues the car was running real cool yesterday and i was running low boost 12psi.

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
I've heard its important to have vaccuum on the breathers on the valve covers, however I've seen setups like yours. Blue smoke=burnt oil and could be failing oil seals in your turbo. Do you have a factory CT26?

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
digihonk82;1719856 said:
I've heard its important to have vaccuum on the breathers on the valve covers, however I've seen setups like yours. Blue smoke=burnt oil and could be failing oil seals in your turbo. Do you have a factory CT26?

i have an upgraded CT26 57trim so probly it's on its way out.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
I had blue smoke out the tail of my previous Supra. Toyota dealership said the engine was a gonner. I really doubt it was, but new nothing at that time, so I went with it since the car was under warranty and I only had a $100 deductible on $5,700. But I believe the dealership was just pushing a full engine job for the profits.

One note is that from 89K miles to 141K miles, I never did anything to the stock CT26 and it performed like a champion at all times. I don't know for sure if it was rebuilt just before I bought it at 89K but it likely was because it always pulled very hard and sounded perfect for 3 solid years, even with HKS DP and exhaust.

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
VegaSupra;1719860 said:
I had blue smoke out the tail of my previous Supra. Toyota dealership said the engine was a gonner. I really doubt it was, but new nothing at that time, so I went with it since the car was under warranty and I only had a $100 deductible on $5,700. But I believe the dealership was just pushing a full engine job for the profits.

One note is that from 89K miles to 141K miles, I never did anything to the stock CT26 and it performed like a champion at all times. I don't know for sure if it was rebuilt just before I bought it at 89K but it likely was because it always pulled very hard and sounded perfect for 3 solid years, even with HKS DP and exhaust.

Well this is different my car does not continuously smoke it just lets out small puffss of blue while cruising. And this still doesn't happen all the time.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Kinda sounds like blow-by. Just cause at cooler lower running speeds there is more opportunity for ring blow-by. And when you boost the extra heat expands them just enough? Then once the car is all heated up it goes away. The miss could be from a cylinder getting too much blow-by but will clear itself up once temps rise. Just a thought.

Rebuild the engine lately? Any light cylinder honing done?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
al lewis;1719877 said:
Well this is different my car does not continuously smoke it just lets out small puffss of blue while cruising. And this still doesn't happen all the time.

Yes I suppose it is different. Mine would happen primarily on a cold start up and last for several minutes even at idle. It didn't usually happen again until the next morning.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
VegaSupra;1719922 said:
Yes I suppose it is different. Mine would happen primarily on a cold start up and last for several minutes even at idle. It didn't usually happen again until the next morning.

That could be valve seals too. If they leak a bit, they let a little oil in the cylinder as it sits and it will burn off when you start it back up again.

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
honeydew;1719919 said:
Kinda sounds like blow-by. Just cause at cooler lower running speeds there is more opportunity for ring blow-by. And when you boost the extra heat expands them just enough? Then once the car is all heated up it goes away. The miss could be from a cylinder getting too much blow-by but will clear itself up once temps rise. Just a thought.

Rebuild the engine lately? Any light cylinder honing done?

I think this is the answer cause theres no blue smoke what so ever under boost or when its heated up as you said. Is this gona be a problem for me? Is the engine being damaged? :nono:

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
radiod;1719927 said:
That could be valve seals too. If they leak a bit, they let a little oil in the cylinder as it sits and it will burn off when you start it back up again.

Yep. After I had the whole engine replaced, someone suggested that it could have been the valve seals and that the oil was just burning off on start up each time. At any rate, I don't necessarily regret having the engine replaced since I did only pay the $100 deductible. Worked out nice for me actually.

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
hvyman;1719936 said:
Does it smoke on cold start up?

No theres no smoke on a cold start. Theres only light puffs of blue when i'm cruising at optimal temperature sometimes. This does not happen all the time thats why i'm baffled i know i'm not running lean cause my A/F @ WOT is 10.1 but still this is not relavant since it doesn't smoke on boost.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
al lewis;1719931 said:
I think this is the answer cause theres no blue smoke what so ever under boost or when its heated up as you said. Is this gona be a problem for me? Is the engine being damaged? :nono:

Uhhhh. Depends what you mean by "problem". heehee. *IF* this is indeed the problem you have some piston ring problems. Either one cylinder, or more, but from the *puff* you describe plus the miss probably just one cylinder. Um, piston ring shrapnel could do some damage or just sit in the sludge in the bottom of your pan forever. IDK.

You would do well with changing the oil a few times along with the filter just to get any shrapnel out of the oil system.

Beyond that, unless you are skilled enough to re-ring the pistons I don't know what kind of real problems you will have other than an occasional misfire and one cylinder needing a good heat up before working to potential. Over time and stress, it may be likely that the rest of the ring will explode too, but not always.

You could check all of your spark plugs to see if one (+) plug is oil burned fouled. That would be the easiest way to determine anything.

Any piston slap on cold start? Check engine light on miss? No smoke on start up probably just because oil isn't thin enough (Hot enough) to blow-by yet.

No piston slap and blow-by only for a short period. Not a serious problem. Add thicker oil.

Sorry: edited to answer your last question. If you oil/filter change and maybe go as far to clean up the pan, 2X you've probably removed much of the ring that would cause real damage. Oil change regular and sooner than later afterward. It won't stop the problem but it'll live. Since there is blow-by enough to notice smoke you are eating a lot of oil. Check it regularly like every week at least and always have a litre in the hatch. Other than replacing rings, you'd be stuck with the symptom.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Whoa! You are running 10:1 WOT? Crap. That's rich. What boost are you running?

Last edited:

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
honeydew;1720035 said:
Uhhhh. Depends what you mean by "problem". heehee. *IF* this is indeed the problem you have some piston ring problems. Either one cylinder, or more, but from the *puff* you describe plus the miss probably just one cylinder. Um, piston ring shrapnel could do some damage or just sit in the sludge in the bottom of your pan forever. IDK.

You would do well with changing the oil a few times along with the filter just to get any shrapnel out of the oil system.

Beyond that, unless you are skilled enough to re-ring the pistons I don't know what kind of real problems you will have other than an occasional misfire and one cylinder needing a good heat up before working to potential. Over time and stress, it may be likely that the rest of the ring will explode too, but not always.

You could check all of your spark plugs to see if one (+) plug is oil burned fouled. That would be the easiest way to determine anything.

Any piston slap on cold start? Check engine light on miss? No smoke on start up probably just because oil isn't thin enough (Hot enough) to blow-by yet.

No piston slap and blow-by only for a short period. Not a serious problem. Add thicker oil.

Sorry: edited to answer your last question. If you oil/filter change and maybe go as far to clean up the pan, 2X you've probably removed much of the ring that would cause real damage. Oil change regular and sooner than later afterward. It won't stop the problem but it'll live. Since there is blow-by enough to notice smoke you are eating a lot of oil. Check it regularly like every week at least and always have a litre in the hatch. Other than replacing rings, you'd be stuck with the symptom.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Whoa! You are running 10:1 WOT? Crap. That's rich. What boost are you running?

I usually run between 14 & 15PSI The HKS Alphabet Soup got me running that A/F Ratio. I do service the car regular every month for that matter. There is no piston slap on start up period engine runs strong just that lil issue of that puffs of blue at times.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Step #1 without all the guessing: Warm engine compression and leak down test. Why do you guys guess instead of test?

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
yeah, get an oriellys compression tester! I've never done this test, but having read articles, you can include a test of which of your seals are leaking by "listening" to your mannys or thru the block breather! If it's Piston Rings it will pfffff out your block breather or dipstick tube, if its intake valve seals it'll.....I wont do it again but you get the idea :)

toytech

Toyota certifed
Feb 10, 2009
Frankton,Indiana
bluepearl;1720308 said:
Step #1 without all the guessing: Warm engine compression and leak down test. Why do you guys guess instead of test?

Nice the difference between part swapping and diagnostic repair. Next wet or dry? roflol