PTE 5557 billet in a 7m bolt-on housing?

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
So I've talked to Jack @ Suprasport and Larry @ SP -- both said it should be possible to use the new PTE billet wheels in the MK3 bolt-on turbos. These apparently are quite a big improvement over the old wheels -- not because billet is a magical process, but because they happen to have much better aerodynamics (thanks in large part to the blades taking up much more area with the thinner shaft).

So I'm looking for the best turbo for 400-450rwhp on the stock manifold ("best" meaning least lag with Toyota-like reliability) and it seems the PTE 5557 should fit the bill on paper:

Max Rated HP: 535

Bearing System: 360 Race

Compressor Wheel Specs:
Wheel Inducer: 2.170"
Wheel Exducer: 2.950"

Garrett Turbine Wheel Specs:
Wheel Trim: 76
Wheel Inducer: 2.555"
Wheel Exducer: 2.227"

Apparently PTE has been rating these things pretty conservatively (an evo made 520whp with a 5557)

I don't really know as much as I should about turbochargers, and I'm not sure if the turbine inducer is smaller than the stock CT26 (or if that will be a problem)

Here are some quotes from Doward's stickies:

Doward said:
CT26 (stock):
Compressor Inducer: 1.75"
Compressor Exducer: 2.559"
Turbine Minor: 1.97"
Turbine Major: 2.36"

Doward said:
For the T4, the alphabet trim sizes, (N, O, P, & Q) indicate the diameter of the turbine's exducer and major in inches.

Stock CT26 = exducer 2.047" major 2.677"

If it will work, the next question is what housing would be the best for it? Boss Sr? SP? turbonetics?

Boss Jr??

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
should fit the SP turbos, but I wonder how much.

boss and all of that use the same 76 MM exhaust wheel just the housing fits the wheels... So it should fit all the bolt on turbo wheels...

It may even fit in the CT26 housing if machined. Although the exhaust wheel will limit you.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
The DSMs are already getting them in bolt-on applications:
sm_photo_missing.jpg