PTE 550's, the new Venoms?

BillyM

MK2 + 7M = FUN
Mar 3, 2006
Greenville, SC
...now before anyone says one word like "I've got them and they're fine."

I HAD THEM FLOWTESTED PRE-EMPTIVELY. I can not say how ALL sets are, but this is simply my result. I will be dealing with the ebay seller shortly and let you guys know how this pans out.

...the tester actually tore open the brand new sealed bags.

This was a brand new set, and for those of you who can't open attachments, I will summarize...

FlowResults said:
# : pulsed : open

1 : 114ml : 130ml
2 : 88ml : 100ml
3 : 116ml : 120ml
4 : 118ml : 135ml
5 : 118ml : 130ml
6 : 118ml : 134ml

"William,
The numbers speak for themselves, but I was shocked at how bad they are - flow is all over the place and patterns horrible. Frankly, I would not use this set in anything. Sorry!"

...sigh*

Glad I had them tested, I'd have blown a piston for sure with that #2 injector.

Pretty much, has anyone else had theirs tested, and what were the results? I don't trust injectors, and I especially don't trust injector resellers.

--billyM

Attachments

• MattisonSM.JPG
    MattisonSM.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I don't think the PTE injectors have the same piss poor track record the Venoms do...you did get a bad injector though. You were smart to have them flow tested BEFORE installation...I would test any injector for the same reason (including RC's). You never know when a bad one will pop up. I did have the RC's in my motor tested prior to putting them in ;)

My complements on thinking ahead...you likely saved your motor :bigthumb:

BillyM

MK2 + 7M = FUN
Mar 3, 2006
Greenville, SC
...still waiting to hear back from the ebay seller.

Hopefully this all pans out well and the seller rectifies the problem.

I can't stress enough, FLOWTEST YOU INJECTORS!

--billyM

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Seller's name and rating? I've also heard that when you buy PTE's from some ebay vendor's they aren't machined down to fit in the 7M yet, probably a contributing factor as to why you can get them for so cheap ;).

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I bought used PTE 550cc injectors from another Supra owner and had them tested.
One performed well below the others so I had to buy another one from Summit Racing.

But I heard PTE injectors are one of the best.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
It has nothing to do with the seller or the fact that they came from e-bay. A Precision injector is a Precision injector no matter who sells them. A bad injector can come from precision. It happens. the seller would be a stand up guy if he repalced the bad one. But unless he advertized them as being flow tested, then you have little recourse. A seller is just a seller, he does not make the things. The genuine precison injectors are cheap on e-bay because most sellers are only making 2 bucks on each injector. Buing straight from precision just means that you are paying a price closer to retail. BTW, precison themselves sell all kinds of their products on e-bay. Does that instantly make them junk? You take your chances by not purchasing a flowed and matched set of injectors.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
suprarich said:
It has nothing to do with the seller or the fact that they came from e-bay. A Precision injector is a Precision injector no matter who sells them. A bad injector can come from precision. It happens. the seller would be a stand up guy if he repalced the bad one. But unless he advertized them as being flow tested, then you have little recourse. A seller is just a seller, he does not make the things. The genuine precison injectors are cheap on e-bay because most sellers are only making 2 bucks on each injector. Buing straight from precision just means that you are paying a price closer to retail. BTW, precison themselves sell all kinds of their products on e-bay. Does that instantly make them junk? You take your chances by not purchasing a flowed and matched set of injectors.

Right!..Just like I did..Bought a set of used injectors from a fellow supra guy
with no testing or flow data....and as it turns out I have to replace one of them. So you never know...

Cheers,
Roy

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
PTE IS JUST LIKE VENOM. Some people started saying they had no problems with theirs, maybe they had a good run and then a bad run, but either way it's not worth risking your engine. Look at the pic below if you don't believe it. The flow sheet had them at 380cc up to 520cc, but not one was even close to 550cc. The car idled fine, the afr was 12:1, and the egt showed ok, but the temp sensor was in the #6 exhaust runner where the 520cc injector happened to be. The melted piston was where the 400cc injector was. They are not using new 550cc injectors, they take a cheap lower cc injector and drill the hole/s bigger to increase the flow. The problem is that the needle inside is matched to the shape of the tapered hole. Even if the flow ends up being ok, the spray pattern will be terrible, which costs you horsepower.

They were purchased from Ebay. I sent them an email describing my problem, there was no reply.
Seller: importblowoutsales (importblowout@hotmail.com)
Import Blowout Sales
Philadelphia, PA 19135 United States

p585777_1.jpg

Last edited:

BillyM

MK2 + 7M = FUN
Mar 3, 2006
Greenville, SC
Ric, DrJonez, please hold your tongues unless you have intimate knowledge of the type of company PTE is.

An injector is an injector, regardless of who resells it. It should not be up to the reseller to verify quality control on a decent product. ...PTE is simply not holding up to their end of the deal.

To get your injectors simply TESTED

Guys, email tim@cleaninjectors.com and let him know you're with the supra community and want your set flow tested only. He is offering this service to us for a near-flat fee of $25. ...those of you outside the US will be more. My turn around time was one week, including shipping time!

He knows what we're looking for and isn't afraid to give an honest opinion (see my first post) and I'll trust him with my stuff from here on out.

...now, lets continue with our discussion of these pte's.

--billyM