PSP [PlayStation Portable] - Late post

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I DO NOT KNOW if the USA version of the 2.0 Firmware will do this automatically [it probably will], but for faster wireless web browsing on the Japanese 2.0 firmware, once you have the web browser open, hit the triangle key to make the address bar appear up top and the option buttons appear at the bottom. Choose the "View" option at the bottom, near the right [it's the button that is in the shape of a screen with the letter "A" in the middle]. Inside the View menu, choose "Encoding" and select "Western". This will speed up your web browsing significantly. Then again, this might only be the default on the Japanese browser, and the American Update to 2.0, which is slated to come out tomorrow might already be set where it's supposed to be.

Once I get back home from vacation I am going to get larger memory sticks and start experimenting with video and audio files to see what will play on the PSP, and how well it plays. I can't wait to see if they will make an external hard drive for the PSP that is worth anything. I have a pocket-sized USB bus-powered Seagate 100 GB that uses the same type of mini-USB connector on it's end that the PSP uses, but I can't see it being powered by the PSP for one, and for two, even if you get an externally powered hard drive, you will need a "driver" for the PSP to read through it's USB port OR a converter to make the hard drive plug in to the memory stick port, essentially making it a freakin' huge memory stick.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Yeah, I'd like to be able to run all of that fun stuff on my PSP, but I upgraded to 2.0

One again, I am thinking I may just buy one from Japan with the 1.00 or 1.50 firmware as my secondary fun/hack machine.

I bought a "little" 256MB memory card for my PSP. the 32MB one that comes with it is good for game saves and a couple pictures for backgrounds, but eventually I WILL need more memory, and when I start encoding video and audio and attempt to play with it, the need really will arise for more storage. If the price goes down alot more, I can definitely see some 1GB memory sticks in my future. It's just too bad I can't immediately adapt my 100GB USB bus powered hard drive to it - that would ROCK. I AM toying with the idea of adapting the PSP to one of those wireless hard drive/network adapters. Plug in the wireless router, connect the hard drive to it, turn on the PSP and it's WLAN switch, and connect to the hard drive via wireless connection? Sounds odd, but feasible. Hard drives are much cheaper than flash memory.

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
ok, so I got a 1GB memory stick for my psp, I know how to get music on the thing, but I cant figure out how to get video on it so can someone tell me how to put it on there, or was I an idiot and overlooked it in the manual.

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
turns out the usb cable I got for it came with a program that converts the videos for me, but when I went to play them, it told me it couldnt, sooooo, I dunno, I'm satisfied with every good song I have on my computer for the moment, I guess.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Unless Pro Duo cards go up in capacity and come down in price, I don't forsee the PSP getting more use on a trip than a Laptop, though it is fun. Then again, I don't have a Laptop.

Sony needs to release machines to record UMD discs. Pffft... yeah, THAT will happen.