PSN's little 'oops'...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
So, anybody keeping track of this? Apparently there was a HUGE breach of security on their end. Now not only can nobody play online (no skin off my busy back really), but evidently pretty much every piece of information attached to our profiles has been laid out for whoever hacked the PSN to do with what they please...

Yeah, not exactly news, but I haven't seen any posts up on here yet. Anybody really care? Honestly, if my credit card number got yanked, that's about the only thing I mind. Everything else is public domain...

Interesting thing I hear though, is that this may be connected to a 'custom' (read: hacked) firmware that tricks the PSN into thinking that system is a developer system. This type of system apparently doesn't confirm credit card numbers when downloading things off PSN, effectively making PSN downloads free if you make up a credit card.

So... how much of the truth is Sony telling everyone? Information leaking is one thing for a company to be concerned about, giving away their products and services for free is another entirely. Makes me wonder what's really going on here...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Maybe all the people defending that guy who developed the jailbreak will think again now that their CC info is out in the wild. It's always talk of how information should be free and such, well that information was used to gain access to some serious stuff.

I did read that only the card numbers were vulnerable and that the expiration date and security codes were not. Then again, it was sony saying that so who knows. I'm not sure how logging in as a faux dev kit would allow access to any personal information though... One minute they are talking about the hacked dev kit getting free games then about CC information stolen, how do they tie in together?

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
apparently the whole PSN was destroyed and they have to rebuild from the ground up. Serves em right when i buy your product it's MINE eff your shit.

on the other hand fuck consoles they are lame get PC.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
IBoughtASupra;1704447 said:
Xbox Live For The Win....

This. :biglaugh:

FullNelson;1704523 said:
My xbox just destroyed its hard drive and I was recently contemplating switching to ps3. So is this a sign to stay xbox?

To be frank, they're both great platforms. Truthfully, I don't want to see this thread turn into a xb vs ps war.
The fact of the matter is... Sony got a rude awakening and is working to fix it.
Meanwhile, if you've input credit card info through your PSN account... Well. Good luck.

Til then - I'm loving my XBL account. :)

Jeff

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
im so glad im a pc gamer :D

but as for the big debate which machine is better..... there both the same at the end of the day. what it comes down is the games themselves, as not all games are available on both (xbox has forza motorsports, and us ps3 users have gran tursimo)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
7Matt-GE;1704434 said:
apparently the whole PSN was destroyed and they have to rebuild from the ground up. Serves em right when i buy your product it's MINE eff your shit.

What this man said!

My 360 is just a media extender for windows and my Playon Server. LOL

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Let's not let this turn into a fanboy war guys... has XBL been bug free this whole time? Personally I'd hope so given all of the experience MS has with networking and whatnot, but has the 360 setup been hack free? I remember my days with the original xbox, that thing was FAR from hack free, and for a poor college student's also-poor roommate, we were thankful for the ability to hack them. :)

7Matt-GE;1704434 said:
Eh, are there any games coming out on PC that aren't coming out on PS3/360 these days though? To each their own, but paying the costs to build a competitive pc these days isn't any cheaper than it was 10 years ago...

iwannadie;1704370 said:
I'm not sure how logging in as a faux dev kit would allow access to any personal information though... One minute they are talking about the hacked dev kit getting free games then about CC information stolen, how do they tie in together?

I believe that with the fake developer kit modded firmware, you needed to put in a credit card number in order to get the games off PSN for free, but dev kits weren't actually verifying the CC numbers. Why then, couldn't you just enter a fake number as well? This is where my biggest point of wonder is, is it just potential money lost for Sony, and THAT'S why they shut PSN down, or is there a legitimate security risk here?

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
te72;1704684 said:
Eh, are there any games coming out on PC that aren't coming out on PS3/360 these days though? To each their own, but paying the costs to build a competitive pc these days isn't any cheaper than it was 10 years ago...

Actually it is, in fact it's way cheaper.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
At first I was thinking "HAHAHA, glad I have xBox Live!!"

then I got an email from Sony, and I remembered "oh yeah, I have a PSP i've downloaded stuff with..FUUCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!"

hope nothing gets out, I might have to change my debit card number (which I have completely memorized already)..:(

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
RazoE;1704702 said:
At first I was thinking "HAHAHA, glad I have xBox Live!!"

then I got an email from Sony, and I remembered "oh yeah, I have a PSP i've downloaded stuff with..FUUCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!"

hope nothing gets out, I might have to change my debit card number (which I have completely memorized already)..:(

Advice...cancel card and get a new one, it isn't worth the headache.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The only thing they'll have is the number, not the 3 digit code on the back, PIN number, etc...

Regardless, this isn't Sony's oops, this is a security breach by a hacker. When someone robs your house you don't blame yourself...

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
iwannadie;1704370 said:
Maybe all the people defending that guy who developed the jailbreak will think again now that their CC info is out in the wild. It's always talk of how information should be free and such, well that information was used to gain access to some serious stuff.

I did read that only the card numbers were vulnerable and that the expiration date and security codes were not. Then again, it was sony saying that so who knows. I'm not sure how logging in as a faux dev kit would allow access to any personal information though... One minute they are talking about the hacked dev kit getting free games then about CC information stolen, how do they tie in together?

Poodles;1704728 said:
The only thing they'll have is the number, not the 3 digit code on the back, PIN number, etc...

Regardless, this isn't Sony's oops, this is a security breach by a hacker. When someone robs your house you don't blame yourself...

This wasn't a hacker. This was sony, the update they did allowed banned and modified PS3s back online and into a trusted part of PSN's Dev. Network. This had nothing to do with a hacker.

Also, the jailbreak thing is complete bullshit. Do you even know what it does?

Let me put this in car terms for all you non-techy people out there.

Toyota developed the supra, locks it down so you cannot do anything to it modification wise. Someone figures out how to get around this and install upgrades. YAY the rest of the car world shouts. He cracked the code, but he didn't break into toyota and steal the master key to your car and then rob your car.

Hope that helps.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
i look at it this way. When i buy it it's mine to do with how i want however i want. If a company *cough* apple *cough* told me that i couldn't install a graphics card into my PC for upgraded performance then fuck you im doing it anyways im not RENTING it. i BOUGHT it ITS MINE FOREVER.

prettymuchanoob

Mar 24, 2011
Dallas
it actually was a group of hackers named "anonymous". They span from US to UK. They've taken responsibility at least. They're not interested in money and supposedly have not destroyed the network. They claim they've merely blocked everyone from entering. They're looking at 10yrs each if caught.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
prettymuchanoob;1704805 said:
it actually was a group of hackers named "anonymous". They span from US to UK. They've taken responsibility at least. They're not interested in money and supposedly have not destroyed the network. They claim they've merely blocked everyone from entering. They're looking at 10yrs each if caught.

Rofl

No offense but this is also bullshit.

Anon hasn't done anything. Lol @ anon. This is a sony fuck up and that's it. Nothing more nothing less.

prettymuchanoob

Mar 24, 2011
Dallas
Might be. It's been on the news, there have been Videos claiming responsibility, and idk who anon is.. anonymous is a group..
but who knows what's real anymore.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
prettymuchanoob;1704986 said:
Might be. It's been on the news, there have been Videos claiming responsibility, and idk who anon is.. anonymous is a group..
but who knows what's real anymore.

They...we are anon. Everyone is anon. Anon is short for anonymous. The news is bullshit just trying to help sonys fuck up. I know some of the people who were the first to figure out what sony did. This isn't theft from on person or a group. This is a wide spread incedent.