PS belt

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
Alright so i was cruising around tonight, and all of a sudden realized it was really hard to turn the wheel past about the 9 and 1 or 11 and 3 position. so i said shit i wonder what happened and hoped out only to see my PS belt still on the hanging down and spinning on the crank pulley unbroken.
Now i searched and found the reason why it could have came off, but i did not find if i can damage soemthing not having that belt turning the ps pump. So that is what i am wondering, can i drive without this belt without blowing my pump, a ps line, or even damaging something else?

Thanks,
Tyler

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
On one of my Honda's I put like 3 or 4K miles on it when I took the power steering belt off. No problems whatsoever. A lot of people, Honda's owners in particular, remove the power steering belt & even sometimes the A/C belt to lessen the parasitic drag on the engine. Basically making it slightly more efficient. Your HP gain from not having a power steering belt on will only be like 1 or 2 HP, if that.

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
ok then why even at 55 mph is it hard to turn each way? shouldnt it get easier at higher speeds? isnt there excess pressure in the ps system since the ps pump is not pushing the fluid through, therefore possibly blowing a ps hose off?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
89turboguy said:
ok then why even at 55 mph is it hard to turn each way? shouldnt it get easier at higher speeds? isnt there excess pressure in the ps system since the ps pump is not pushing the fluid through, therefore possibly blowing a ps hose off?

basic torque rotation.

think of a wheel as a gyroscope.

The faster the wheels rotates the less it wants to be turned. So in reallity the faster you go the harder it will get. The other reason is that the powersteering in our cars is not geared as such to give you that much leverage hence the need for hydraulic assist.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
jetjock said:
It's called rigidity in space figgie. If you want to huff and puff physics at least get the terms right ;)

lol

If i did that, the next question would have been...."what the hell is rigidty in space?" and then have to go to the first explanation. :)

s turbo 87

Accepting Donations
Apr 5, 2005
Louisville, KY
I just replaced my power steering belt last night, before that I drove the car for about a month or so with no belt. I also drove it like that in the past and its fine. It makes driving one hell of a work out and now having power steering seems too easy lol.

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
if you dont plan on fixing it right away i suppose you could drain the fluid, might make turning a little easier.

i used to blow belts all the time because the seals in my steering rack were dried out. <<dont know what condition yours is in but check the tie rod boots, if there torn get them replaced asap so water doesnt get in there and damage anything.