ProSport Gauge battery drain?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I recently installed three Prosport gauges on a customers car (NA MR2., oil temp, oil press, fuel press). Not too long later the MR2 came back with a battery drain issue, while parked for like 2+ days.
NOTE these were the premium gauges with a MAX, MIN recall and alarm function.

I found that the newly installed gauges were drawing 0.055A (by themselves, not including the ecu and everything else), which is enough to drain the battery in a hurry. So after discussing the issue with the customer i installed a switch to cut all power to gauges while parked for an extended amount of time.

This was an issue because he had to reset all of the peset max/min limits for the gauges alarm settings, each time the switch was hit.

Is this something you have to deal with with aftermarket gauges, or am i missing something?

I am thinking of using prosport, but id like to be able to let her sit for a couple days without draining the battery.(id also like a better solution for my customer)

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
What Poodles said. Also check with ProSport on what the parasitic drain should be. I'd also load test the battery because 55 ma is nowhere near enough to drain a healthy one in two days. Not only does the math not make sense but one of my cars pulls 250 ma and it's good for at least a week. What's the total drain?

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
Not to thread jack but can you use the second power plug to jump power to the next gauge like a piggyback? This is how I wired mine just haven't put power to the car yet. Again not trying to jack just consolidate.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Yes you can. They come with a harness so you can jump power from one gauge to the next. I have a prosport boost gauge, even though i only have one but it hasn't given me any problem so far regarding the battery being drained. Works great!